Strange Attachments on Traffic Lights

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Nov 12, 2013.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Did anyone notice some strange attachments on traffic lights on 42 today? I saw them this morning on the lights on 42 at Government and both US 70 intersections. They were attached to the vertical pole for the traffic lights with a ratcheting strap. Looked like they had about an 8 foot antenna or pole attached to the box. If it's still there tomorrow morning, I will stop and take a photo if I can.

Anyone else see these around the area? Or know what they might be?

2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Possibly a traffic counter. They usually use those rubber tubes on the pavement, but I have heard those are notoriously inaccurate.

3. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

Does it look something like this (at the top of the pole)?
    [​IMG]

I'm not completely sure, but I suspect these are used for traffic control boxes to talk with each other, to stay in synch. For example, the one above is the exit to the Wal-Mart on NC 42, and it points toward the next light, in front of Cookout. I'm sure all the lights from here up to Cleveland Rd need to stay in synch with each other, so they don't back up traffic from one intersection into the next.

4. jesse82nc

Nope, I know what those are. I work for the largest telecom company in the world. This was something I had never seen before. It had a box like 20" x 20" x 30" at the base about 2 feet off the ground, with a 6-8' pole on top of it. The box was attached the pole with a 2" yellow ratcheting strap. Very strange.

5. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

Did you ever get a picture of it? My next guess is an AM transmitter, for DOT and traffic information.

6. jesse82nc

Nope, it was gone by the next day. I tried to search online for a photo of something similar, but never found anything even close.