Strawberry Picking

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by newmom5497, Mar 31, 2012.

1. newmom5497

newmom5497 Well-Known Member

Saw the sign on Raleigh Road for Smiths Strawberries...but can we pick them yet or are they just selling right now.(Can't pick today..RAIN..but hopefully next week?)
    THANKS

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I saw the signs also and was surprised at how early it is this year. I think that you should be able to pick,might want to give them a call before driving over there. #934-1700.

3. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

According to their Facebook page, they were planning on opening to pick starting today.

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I picked an overflowing bucket yesterday in no time at all! The plants are loaded with ripe and unripe berries! :hurray:

5. AnnetteL

How is the aroma?

6. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Are they really sweet? The last couple of years the ones we have picked elsewhere have not been sweet enough.

7. newmom5497

newmom5497 Well-Known Member

THanks for the responses! Will be picking one day this week :) Like to avoid the weekend crowds.

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I don't know why you would want to pick them yourself, LOL. I picked too many as a kid on my Grandmother's farm, I HATE picking them! But I love some homemade preserves, etc. I will wait til Lee's get's theirs in.:jester:

Happy picking!!

9. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I came by Porters on my way home from Fuquay-Varina today... they had some great strawberries. I might have to make some chocolate mousse to dip them in!

:jester:

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Porters is THE best! thanks for letting me know they have theirs. will go get a couple of buckets today! :hurray:

and I am like kdc....why would you pick them? no way!!:cheers:

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Honestly, I LOVE picking berries...strawberry and blueberry...as long as I don't have to do it as my job ever again. One spring of picking strawberries...ugh! Anyway, it is stress reliever to me! ;) When I am at the field, I will offer to pick for others so they can get the cheaper price. :)

12. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Is there a blueberry farm around here?

13. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

I know there is a blueberry place on the Archer Lodge side, I will have to find the sign again, I didnt get around to it last year so I have to find it again.. if anyone knows that would be great!

Thanks

14. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

15. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Creekside Farm - Selma, NC

They have a booth at the Clayton farmer's market every year ... blueberries are EXCELLENT!! Great people, too - love chatting with them every week. You can go pick your own, or buy 'em already picked.

16. AnnetteL

Same question,do they taste sweet? Just wondering since it's so early...,thanks!