Suggestion for flooring for sewing room

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mingomama, Dec 25, 2016.

1. mingomama

mingomama Well-Known Member

DH has agreed to have the carpet ripped up in my sewing room! Now, I get to decide what to replace it with. I want something smooth (i.e. tile is out because I don't want grout lines). Suggestions?
    I'd rather ask you folks here than go to a showroom and get sold something that won't be right. Opinions welcome (flooring opinions, that is hahaha).

The room is a former large bedroom.

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

The easiest solution would be one of the engineered flooring options. They are in many ways more durable than hardwoods and easier to install. If there were moisture issues there is a heavy rubber tile that goes down easily but the surface is printed so can be affected by wear.

We used the rubber tiles on the screened porch and have had no problems in the last 3-4 years since I installed it. Two friends have used them in bathroom areas since.

We used the the engineered flooring in a guest bedroom that my wife wanted the carpet removed and which our dogs spent a lot of time so the durability was a factor. Some friends had installed a much cheaper version in a rental house where the renters had large dogs and there had been less damage than to their own maple floors. That was the deciding factor for us.

We installed travertine tile in living room, but used the epoxy grout instead of the old sanded grout. The epoxy holds up much better and is not a issue when cleaning so if you do rethink the tile the epoxy grout is the way to go with that.