Summer community service

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by donnis76, Apr 17, 2014.

1. donnis76

donnis76 New Member

Hi,

I am looking for a good place that me and my children can volunteer this summer to work once a week/biweekly. Anyone know of some good places that would give us the opportunity to serve? Thank you!

2. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Yeah sure..my yard.. PM me... I'll set ya up.

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

There is a community garden in downtown Clayton that operates on volunteerism. It's the Mosaic Community Garden http://mosaicclayton.org/

4. 42Local

42Local Well-Known Member

The Interfaith Food Shuttle has a Backpack Buddies program that is great for kids to participate in. They help pack backpacks with food for kids.

The animal shelters are always looking for volunteers, but I think kids usually need to be at least 13 years old (some of them require them to be at least 16 years old).

Here's a list from Carolina Parent. http://www.carolinaparent.com/artic...ty-Service-Opportunities-in-the-Triangle-3086

5. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

6. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Clayton Meals on Wheels. Clayton Senior Center - Call JC at 919-553-4352

7. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

Rebecca Page
    Triangle Gleaning Coordinator
    Society of St. Andrew
    gleantriangle@endhunger.org
    919-533-9609

There is an email list you can sign up with so they can notify you of upcoming gleaning activities. In the past my kids have enjoyed helping out when the gleaning was going on close to the 40/42 area. Kids of all ages can have fun and participate in the gleaning activities. We've only been a couple of times ... but my kids really enjoyed finding sweet potatoes and picking strawberries for a good cause.

8. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

Volunteers of all ages needed 6/26 & 6/27 in Clayton

This is the email I got today concerning gleaning in Clayton tomorrow & Friday if anyone is still looking for volunteer hours. My group can't make it, but If you would like to participate, just email Rebecca and she will get directions to the field for you :)

The Interfaith Food shuttle will be gleaning broccoli in Clayton tomorrow morning, 6/26, and collards in Faison on Friday (6/27). This is close to you who live in Johnston Co. All the produce will go to the Interfaith Food Shuttle; however, if you support another food mission, there's a possibility that you can take some of the produce. If you can help, please let me know and I'll see that you get details and directions.

Thank you for your support!
    --
    Rebecca Page
    Triangle Gleaning Coordinator
    Society of St. Andrew
    gleantriangle@endhunger.org
    919-533-9609