Summer Jobs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MissTurtle62774, May 24, 2010.

1. Any idea where a 14-year old can pick up a few dollars?

2. thewildmom

thewildmom Well-Known Member

Or even volunteer without a parent being present? I need something to keep mine busy for the summer!!

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

life guard at a pool? ... or is that too young...

4. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

probably too young... never mind.

5. cece

cece Well-Known Member

Some of the Summer Day Camps may be willing to do an unpaid internship type of thing...

6. CABP

CABP Guest

If you will go on WTSB Radio web site and look under the Community Events there are alot of places looking for volunteers this summer. Maybe there will be something there to help you.

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Check craigslist, under employment listings/labor. They *might* be able to find a gig or two or summer employment at a local farm.

Call local nurseries.

Also, make sure that your son or daughter does the contacting of perspective employers themselves.

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

This!!! My sister does hiring for a retail store and nothing irritates her more than mommy showing up with their darling for the interview. Yes............it happens!! CRAZY!

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I ****ed my mom off a few weeks ago, in discussing this same thing. She was asking me about summer jobs for my 15YO nephew (same age as my son who has a p/t job) and "mommy" was calling the grocery stores and movie theatres to see if they were hiring. I explained to her that even if they were hiring a 15Y0 (which they wouldn't - they have plenty of older, more mature people applying for "cushy" jobs like that in this economy) they are not going to hire somebody whose mommy did all the footwork. If you are mature and responsible enough to work, then you had better portray yourself as mature and responsible when looking for work. I also had to explain to her that he wasn't going to be able to get a "cushy" job like that, he would have to go off the beaten path being under 16. He's a spoiled brat anyway, by his mommy and grandmommy. lol

They live outside of Phoenix, I told her to drop him off downtown and let the day-labor truck pick him up after she kept arguing with me. :evil: :lol:

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I love it!!:lol:

11. mcclouds6

mcclouds6 Well-Known Member

My daughter is 15 and I brought her by McDonalds she filled out the application. I was with her when she turned it in. They called her about a month later. I did go to the interview with her but sat at a table close by just in case they had any questions that she could not answer since it was her first interview. They hired her. My daughter calls about her schedule and any questions she may have, it is her job and she is responsible for it. They do hire 14 and 15 year olds. School must be completely out for them to work during the week and there are certain things they are not allowed to do. When school is back in session they can only work on the weekend for a certain amount of time.