Sweet 16 venue ideas?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by gmessig, Sep 17, 2007.

1. gmessig

gmessig Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am planning a sweet 16 party/dance for my daughter in January. I have met with a few hotels and called a few restauraunts but then i thought of you guys. I am on a budget and can't spend an awful lot. I would like to have a DJ and finger foods. There will be 50-75 people. Does anyone know of any places to have a party like this? Thanks so much.

2. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Sometimes the schools will let you rent out the gym..

The Veterans have a building in Clayton, the VFW or something like that?

I know a DJ that will probably underbid someone else, but he's cash only, you can PM me for his name and number if you're interested.

Panther Branch Community Building in Garner?

Oh, and if it were me, I'd do the finger foods myself and save that cash.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!

3. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

I second the Panther Branch Community Building. We had one there for my son several years ago. Not sure if the same lady still handles it that used to or not. If interested let me know and I'll try to find the number for you.

Brenda

4. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

We rented the Clayton Civitan Club for my daughter's 13th and she went in with 3 other kids turning 13. Between the four families we were able to afford a DJ and then we did the finger food ourselves. One of the mothers said she would get the cake and it was amazing. The cake was made out of cupcakes and spelled 13. Two boys and two girls gave the party. We sent out invitations stating; no parent could just drop a child off, each child should be signed in and out by a parent and an emergency number listed; if a child left the building the parent would be called to pick the child up and no presents. Instead of presents each child giving the party picked a charity and the kids coming gave a monetary donation, made payable to the charity, which went in a basket as they arrived.

My daughter's charity was Doctors Without Borders and she raised almost $500.00. She now wants to do the same thing for her 16th. The DJ was awesome, but at that age they didn't dance much. At 16 they will dance.

Just some ideas!

Grace

5. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

There's also the Garner Optimist Club on Vandora -Springs Road. It has a full kitchen that you can use, tables, chairs and plenty of room for 50-75 people PLUS a band / DJ and also a very large "back yard" if you had any outside plans / activities in mind.

6. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

At my son's 16th party, they mostly hung around outside and looked at each other cars LOL! And the ones that did dance, well lets just say at some points it looked like group sex and my husband had to tell them to 'clean it up' or leave. That was the first time we'd been exposed to the humping-dancing and we (the adults) were quite surprised! (this was 5 yrs ago)

Funny thing - we had several bunches of helium balloons and we started noticing that they were dissappearing....the kids were taking them outside and inhaling the helium! And of course when my husband asked them stop....they were not nice about it, called him an old man!...so they were asked to leave too :roll: We had our son's party at the McCuller's Community center on 210. It was an okay place...nothing too special on the inside.

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I can't believe she's 16 already! Time sure has flown by!! <damn I'm getting old>

I know a DJ also. (probably the same one JS knows).

I agree with JS, if you are looking to save some $$$ do the finger food stuff yourself. Go to Sams or BJ's and get the jumbo packs of everything.

Tell your DH we said hey!

8. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

Last year, I was going to give my daughter a Sweet-16 party in October, but my father became very ill and through his death in May, we were going to Virginia almost every weekend...so it got pushed aside, I'm afraid. She understood, as she was very close to her grandfather, but I'd like to make it up to her.

I was thinking of giving her a surprise party this year, when she turns 17. I'd love to have some DJ info and such also. It's going to be done on a shoestring, but better late than never.

9. jenfield

jenfield Active Member

Panther Branch is a great location and is cheap. I had a Sweet 16 party for my daughter there in February along with a DJ. I handled the food and decorations and it turned out great.