tax question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by God'schild, Jan 26, 2010.

1. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

Ok. I filed my taxes and my refund is due electronically probably this weekend. The question was, my accountant said that I will no longer, after this time, get the child tax credit on my oldest son because he is 16. I thought it was 18!! I mean, 16, he is still a child! Anyone else know anything about this?

2. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer but I do remember the year my son was either 17 or 18, we could not get the credit because of the way his birthday fell. I've got one better that is still baffling me. My son is 22 and will turn 23 in August. He is a student at a college. I figure this is the year he will finally be declared an independent on the fafsa form. Much to my surprise and shock, he is still being declared as a dependent. He lives on his own, pays his own rent, pays his car payment, pays for his food, makes his own money but for the fafsa form this year, as parents, they still want our financial information. The first question on the worksheet to figure out if he is dependent/independent is were you born before January 1, 1987. Because he was born that year, he can't input just his info. Now if he was married, that'd be a different story.

3. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

That's correct, the child must be "under age 17." IOW, 16 or younger.
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p972.pdf

See "Qualifying Child" on page 2.

4. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Yep, it's 17. We lose it this year :banghead:

5. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

well................crap. :banghead:

Where's that picutre of Homer Simpson saying, "DOH!" when I need it!

6. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

or had a kid, lol! I think they have to be 24? We have the same problem :banghead: