Taxes--anyone have to prove your family exists??

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Odd question, I know. We filed our taxes via turbo tax. Already received federal refund. However, got a letter from the state that we have 30 days to comply w/ their request of obtaining more info. They wanted ALL photocopies of our SS cards, ALL copies of kids' birth certs, statement that the children are ours, and statement that we financially care for these children. I heard the state is targeting big families. I guess we qualify. So, anyone else have this issue?? We not only provided that but also explanations & adoption decrees. Hoping this will suffice. Sent it return receipt & tax auditor signed for it. SOO, how long does this process take now? Anyone been through it? I think if they came over to babysit one night, that would end all questions that they have--LOL. Seriously though, I'm frustrated b/c how can you even check up on it? I know they got it but no word yet on anything. Do you think we'll have to prove more stuff? BTW, we received the letter & next day had it priority mail to the auditor. STayed up till well after 1am to get it done. I just was wondering if anyone has been through this before and how they might have checked their status. I understand the state wanting to verify things but I think a time frame would be nice so we're not worried sick about it all. Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Stephanie--mom to 7

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

3. Abdulina

Thanks Sherry. Tried to call them. Got tangled up in that wonderful phone web they've got. Every time I punched something in, it led me to another #. Even tried hitting zero several times and saying representative. Going to have DH try to call them. I work tomorrow & Friday so was hoping I'd get through today. Nope. I'm not expecting the refund any time soon, just want to make sure they don't need anything else. You know, crossing all 't's' and dotting all 'i's'. At least we got one of the refunds back so far.

Stephanie--mom to 7

4. Local Lady

Local Lady Well-Known Member

Last year, my fiance tried to claim myself & my 2 kids as he DOES provide more than half of our support. 3 times we provided copies of every document under the sun, medical cards, a letter from the school, vehicle insurance, doctor bills, social security cards, birth certificates...you name it, we provided it & most documents had our current address on them.
    Still, after all the documents & several phone calls, they refused to accept us as his dependents & now he has to pay a couple of thousand dollars to the government & was actually fined for trying to claim us! Outrageous how they can get away with such things. :beathorse:

5. Abdulina

Oh please say it ain't so! Yikes. Fear is taking over now. I worry b/c we do have quite a complication of sorts. Long, long story but immigration says it is fine. Ijust have this gut feeling the state is going to make a mountain out of a molehill type thing. Should be interesting. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Stephanie--mom to 7

6. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Could it be because tax law requires you are married and the child be your's
    (biologically or through adoption) to claim? hmmm!

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm confused. (nothing new there, LOL) How can someone you aren't married to claim you as dependants? Not trying to be smart, I just didn't know you could. :confused:

8. SunShine26

SunShine26 Well-Known Member

Some friends of mine's 2 yr old daughter drowned 7 months ago and her grandmother claimed her on her taxes...they denied it 3 times saying that someone else had already claimed her for this year. Anyway, long story short, they had to provide a copy of her death certificate. Weird I think.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Ouch!

My sister's deadbeat ex-husband claimed the kids on his taxes this year although he hasn't seen them or paid child support in 3 years. What a winner!! She has sole custody and apparently he isn't too bright. She already has the IRS and his superior officers involved. It's gonna get ugly.

10. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

That's because you are not related. Why not just get married if you are all living together and he is supporting you all?