Telescopes

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nsanemom22, Nov 16, 2009.

1. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

DS1 has been wanting one for a while now and we were thinking of getting him one for Christmas. Any recommendations? He's 11...he will be Sunday.

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I've been contemplating that, too. I think there's a magazine called Sky & Telescope (or something like that) and they've done reviews on budget telescopes. From what I've read, you'll pay $300 - $500 just for a decent one. However, if you find an affordable one that's rated good, let me know.

3. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

If it is for your son who is turning 11, I would suggest researching on the internet first and then going with a more inexpensive less powerful one at first. It's best to see just how much he will use the telescope before stepping up to more expensive and more powerful telescopes.

We purchased an inexpensive one many years ago for the kids at Wal-Mart. To our surprise, they loved it and used it quite often. Over the years we have continued to purchase more powerful telescopes. Currently we have a Celestron by NexStar.

We've purchased the more powerful ones through a small business in Cary which specializes in telescopes and such. I don't know if they are still in business or not.

4. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

Just grab the cheap-crappy one off the shelf next time your in CVS. If they actually take the time to use it then you can spend a little more and upgrade next year.

5. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

Telescope.....

I got one of these about a year ago...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestron-powerseeker-50-astronomical-telescope.html

I was thinking how cool it was gonna be, etc. They are really boring is what I found out. I looked at the moon 2 or 3 times (which was kinda neat), and havent touched it since. You are welcome to it for free and see if the youngster likes it before you shell out the big money on one. I believe I even have the original box it came in, the instructions, star software, etc.

6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Not to mention, there is so much light pollution here, it's near impossible to see anything other than the moon. BIL left his super duper computerated one with us last year, we still couldn't see jack. :lol:

8. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

Ya, my buddy has one like that. Pre-hubble It'd be cool, but i can see way better pics online. Plus, the good stuff, ya cant see til winter, then its 2 cold to stand outside. Looking @ the moon is truly awe inspiring tho, but the rest of the stuff is kinda a let down.

9. nsanemom22

Thank you for the offer Daredevil. I think we're going to wait.

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

The one thing that makes the prospects of a backyard telescope exciting is seeing things in real time. Sure, you'll find great pics of Saturn's rings but its not like the amazement of seeing it with your own eye. Of course, if you've got to spend several hundred dollars, one must ask is it worth it?

11. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

Nope, got one last year and got it at a store in Raleigh that just sells them..went and spent a pretty pennie for it and it's just sitting in DD room and never has been used cause I can't figure the dang thing out.

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Had ours for years but our Neighbor put up prison lighting around his home and now it is useless for doing much more than looking at the moon.

13. nsanemom22

A disadvantage we have it all the trees in the yard. I love having a really wooded lot but it leaves us with only a few patches of sky to look at.