TerraFin Station - reviews only please

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by tassy, Aug 22, 2010.

1. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

As I said in the other thread, I think they deserve a thread dedicated to true reviews. We had a great time & great food last night. Kudos to the owners and I hope they stick around for a while and enjoy success in our community.

disclaimer.... we have no affiliation to the owners, period.

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

From ZUMBAbyMARIE on 8/19/10

My review....if anyone is interested. :lol:

For appetizers we had the calamari, fried shrimp, and stuffed mushrooms.
    They were all hot and fresh. The calamari was not rubbery like it is in some restaurants. Everything had a nice flavor and came out pretty fast after we ordered it.

I had a pina colada which tasted really fresh and was very good. Okay make that two. I had two pina coladas. Did I say they were very good?

A couple of snafus with dinner but we'll go back again.

My Husband had the salmon with mashed potatoes and green beans. He said it was delicious.

My Daughter had the chicken sandwich. It came grilled instead of fried and with no bacon and cheese. They brought it back with cheese but still forgot the bacon. The waitress brought her two pieces of bacon for her sandwich.

I ordered the linguine with chicken and broccoli in alfredo sauce. It came out with penne and the broccoli overpowered any other flavor it may have had. I ordered the ribs instead. They came out cold but they brought them back nice and hot. They are very spicy. If you like SPICY you will like the ribs. My Husband will most likely have them for lunch tomorrow.

Our waitress was very nice and did a great job.

The place is very open and loud. There were only 6 other tables seated while we were eating and it got really loud in there.

The decor is very plain but looks pretty clean.

I'm not a restaurant critic. I just play one in my spare time.

I hope you all enjoy it. We did. :)

It's really nice to have another choice at 4042 that isn't a chain restaurant or fast food.

Oh and we spent close to $100.00 with tip.

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

From HEMI on 8/20/10

I loved it

i went last night and had the AHI tuna and it was absolutley delicious. A lil pricey but not out of line with the quality of food as fresh and easily in line with an equal meal in a raleigh resturaunt. You can always go to apple bees or the dh and save about 3 or 4 bucks a peice, but you get what you pay for. i love what theyve done inside and the wait staff were helpful and freindly.

I give it 41/2 stars for the area. they are putting in draft beer soon also.:cheers::cheers:

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

From Kaci on 8/20/10

well they have my wholehearted congrats, Dh and i went yesterday evening to check it out and i could not have been more impressed. They seriously completely redid the interior, non recognizable at all from the old place. It is bright, cheery & awesomely clean looking in there, everything is completely different, i still cannot get over it. On the most important note, the bathrooms were completely redone and are clean and sanitary with everything brand new. i seriously could not get over the difference, it was like walking into a totally different place. The staff was great, so friendly and professional and the owners are the nicest people and so accommodating to your every need. The only down side was the calamari, i am a calamari snob and it probably would have been very good but it was too well done and there was more fried breading on my plate than calamari but hey, it was only their 2nd night open so i am more than willing to give it a try again. All that being said, i just want to welcome this new establishment to our community and thank them for a wonderful evening and i will definitely be back soon:cheers:

5. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

From trev47 on 8/21/10

My wife and I went there for lunch and the food was very good. I had the ribeye and it was very flavorful. I do thing that there should be a couple of more side-dish offerings. My wife had the blackened salmon pasta and she liked it.

I do think that they should have a menu posted at the door. I would also like if they served bread when you sit down.

I would go back, but not with my whole family. It would be too expensive for us. If it was just my wife and I on a date, I'd go back.

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

From CraigSPL on 8/22/10

So the wife and go and visit last night for supper. Sat at the bar and had food and a few drinks. Hae to say the beers are the coldest I've had in a long time, wife's ML even had some frost on the bottole once they pulled it out of the cooler. Wife orderd the Fish tacos with sweet potato fries as a side and I order the sirloin with brocoli and mashed potatos as a sides. wife said the fish tacos were on par with the best has ever had, even the ones in south florida and the sweet potato fries were excellant. She received 3 of tacos and a nice sized portion of the fries. My plate arrived and had what looked like a filet instead of what I would normally expect as a sirloin. I had asked for it medium rare and it came out perfectly seared on the outside while still red and juicy on the inside and had a nice little bit of crushed roasted garlic sprinkled on top. The brocoli tasted very fresh, and I can indeed see how it could over power another dish, if one is used to having the frozen in the bag type that has very little taste. the mashed potatos appeared to be boiled red skins with the skin left on then mashed to a nice chunky consistancy and had a very good flavor to them. Normally I'll add butter to the brocoli and gravy to the potatos and get some A-1 for the steak, but all I added last night was a little salt. Both meals were very tasty and for the price I think they were very much inline. And finally the wife had a razztini for desert that she said was absolutely to die for.

All together the wife and I spent a couple of hours up there eating and chatting with the bar tenders, a couple of the owners, a couple members of the waitstaff and one of the kitchen staff. food was good, pricing was pretty decent, the beer was COLD the atmosphere was pretty good, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and I can see myself and some other friends going back again real soon.

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

From ZUMBAbyMARIE on 8/22/10

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CraigSPL [​IMG]
    So the wife and go and visit last night for supper. Sat at the bar and had food and a few drinks. Hae to say the beers are the coldest I've had in a long time, wife's ML even had some frost on the bottole once they pulled it out of the cooler. Wife orderd the Fish tacos with sweet potato fries as a side and I order the sirloin with brocoli and mashed potatos as a sides. wife said the fish tacos were on par with the best has ever had, even the ones in south florida and the sweet potato fries were excellant. She received 3 of tacos and a nice sized portion of the fries. My plate arrived and had what looked like a filet instead of what I would normally expect as a sirloin. I had asked for it medium rare and it came out perfectly seared on the outside while still red and juicy on the inside and had a nice little bit of crushed roasted garlic sprinkled on top. The brocoli tasted very fresh, and I can indeed see how it could over power another dish, if one is used to having the frozen in the bag type that has very little taste. the mashed potatos appeared to be boiled red skins with the skin left on then mashed to a nice chunky consistancy and had a very good flavor to them. Normally I'll add butter to the brocoli and gravy to the potatos and get some A-1 for the steak, but all I added last night was a little salt. Both meals were very tasty and for the price I think they were very much inline. And finally the wife had a razztini for desert that she said was absolutely to die for.

All together the wife and I spent a couple of hours up there eating and chatting with the bar tenders, a couple of the owners, a couple members of the waitstaff and one of the kitchen staff. food was good, pricing was pretty decent, the beer was COLD the atmosphere was pretty good, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and I can see myself and some other friends going back again real soon.

You guys had dessert? They didn't have any on the first night but the Owner told us about what they may offer. :drool:

I did try the mashed potatoes that came with my Husband's fish. They were delicious. I love mashed red potatoes with the skin left on them.

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I called it my "dessert" ZbM, but it was really just a very decadent martini! It was the Razzatini, and it had Godiva Chocolate Liqueur, Chambord & Rasberry Stoli vodka. It was so good!! They have some great ideas for the future dressing up of Martinis.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that all their meat & seafood are brought in fresh everyday (the bartender did say the only thing frozen is the french fries...but who goes to a nice restaurant like that and really wants to eat f.f.'s?). Otherwise, they use fresh local produce and all the juices for the bar are fresh squeezed. The bartender made a Mojito that was fresh squeezed lime juice, muttled mint and homemade simple syrup that smelled so good!! Those are the kinds of things that I don't mind paying a little more for. Presentation counts too, they rim the drink glasses if appropriate, my plate was very nicely arranged.... that counts too, to me anyways.

We chatted with Ed, one of the owners for a bit, and he told us some of the things they had done to improve the building, stuff they came across in the remodeling, plans for other areas in the building. What they have accomplished so far in the remodeling looks great, it is so fresh and bright compared to what it was in a past life. If you go in, notice the canvas pictures on the wall, they are all local pictures. They found a website where you can send pictures in, and they transfer them to canvas. Very neat idea, and they give the walls nice local character.

I'm sure we'll be going back there, you can have a good time without spending a fortune.... beers were $3/bottle domestic, they do have sandwiches, the fish taco's were only $8 or $9. Great looking app's for reasonable prices too. Next on my list is probably to try the steamers and clam chowder and for my birthday in a few weeks I already told dh that I want to splurge on the Lobster & Shrimp Mac n’ Cheese!! The chef said he cooks the lobsters fresh every morning and cracks them to get the meat. REAL Maine lobsters…. Not the spiny, clawless, florida-crap lobsters. Yum Yum Yum!!

They did say they were considering this week their "soft opening", from the bar area it looked like everything was flowing pretty smoothly for them.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  9. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

OK folks, can someone tell me where this place is? My husband and I would like to try it. I have no idea where the place was that is mentioned it has replaced. My eating out has been limited to places with no smoking due to severe allergies, Now that the laws have changed, we are becoming more adventuresome. Love the idea of supporting a local business, and getting good steak and seafood. Hope they make it in this economy. Seems think the chains are scrambling for business. And can someone give me an idea of what they spent on food alone?
    Thanks!

10. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

It is up at 40/42, just across from the Walgreens. At the intersection of Cleveland School Rd. (1010) and 42. As you go through the intersection heading toward Hwy 50, it is on the right. You can turn right on 1010, and then a quick left into the parking lot.

I'll say what our prices were....

DH had the Sirloin and two sides $13
    I had Fish Tacos (3) and one side $8
    5 Miller Lites @ $3/ea = $15
    1 Razzatini (Martini) $7

Here is a link to their menu on their website, and they have the prices listed.

http://www.terrafinstation.com/TerraFin_Station/Dinner.html

12. softballmom

OH thanks! The same place that has been the Oyster Bar, a Mexican Restaurant , another seafood place, and who knows what else in the past 15 years? I really do hope they make it. That place has bad karma!

13. jbny2076

jbny2076 Well-Known Member

My wife and I ate there tonight. However, we had to do takeout. Our daughter has been sick. But we did get to see the inside. It actually looks really good. Seems much brighter visually and open.

For dinner we had the stuffed mushrooms and the Spinach Artichoke and Crab dip.

Both were good. The Spinach dip could have had a little more crab flavor. But that is subjective to our taste.

I had the ribs with mashed potatoes and green beans. My wife had the Salmon with broccoli and sweet potato fries.

Overall we were satisfied. The portions were good and we have leftovers from the apps. Everyone seemed nice. I like that they don't coat the veggies in butter. The broccoli was light/steamed and the green beans were the same. My one complaint would have been the girl who took the order over the phone. Sounded like she was talking to someone during the process. So i have to repeat things a couple times. No biggie though.

Looking foward to dining in next time.

14. softballmom

My hubby and I ate there tonight. We were in the part that used to be the bar. As someone else said , it was loud. Terrible echo in there. I wonder if the place was full if it would be better or worse?

We had the spinach , artichoke and crab dip, for an appetizer. He had the filet, broccoli and baked potato. I had salmon, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Everything was very fresh, and tasted excellent. Best restaurant that has been in that location in the past 15 years. We will definitely be back.

15. gmessig

gmessig Well-Known Member

My husband and I went and we started out with the homemade clam chowder. Delicious. A huge salad and I got the barbecue chicken with green beans. It was very good. My husband got the jambalaya and it was to die for. Service was great. My only gripe is how loud and open and bright it is. The ambience doesn't fit with the great menu. Overall I was impressed and hope they do well.

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

17. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Fish tacos? O M G! that is a dream come true for me.....I cannot wait to try them! I am so excited! thanks for sharing your experiences Kaci, Zumba and Tassy!

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

so excited!

what kind of fish was used in the taco's Tassy? ( you may have said it in your post or hubbys post....but I lost my train of thought by getting so excited about fish tacos:oops:)

18. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

They use a grilled (maybe a little blackened) tilapia...it was very good! The black bean and corn salsa with it is very good too!

19. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

love blackened, love grilled! can't wait to try! thanks hunny!:mrgreen:

20. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

by all the posts i am thinking we finally have a lasting business, first since the Kro's Nest and nothing could make me happier:hurray::hurray::hurray: