Testing a motor

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Grinder, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

I have this fan motor that goes in the heater box assembly for my car that i am restoring. Its the motor that blows air throughout the car. I have rebuilt the heater and all its parts but want to make sure the fan still works because once i get it all back together it will be zero fun to pull it all back out.

So its a 12v motor with 2 wires coming out of it. There is no battery in the car as it is basically a frame now with everything ripped out. What is the easiest way to test it to see if it works? Just take the 2 wires and press them to my car battery in my other car to see if that works?

Electrical just is not my forte'

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

yes, that's it.

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

If you have a battery charger use that instead, but the battery will do the trick.

4. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Make sure you identify which direction the fan spins by which of the two wires you connect to the positive terminal. It should spin one way on one wire and the other direction when you swap the wires on the battery. If you don't, it may suck air and not blow air after you install it.

If the motor wires have a plug on the end and a plug connection in the car, you wont have to do that.

5. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Thanks all.