Thanksgiving volunteeer opportunities?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnaViasMom, Nov 2, 2010.

1. AnnaViasMom

AnnaViasMom Guest

Hi,
    Anyone know about opportunities locally to volunteer on Thanksgiving? I was thinking that there is a group who delivers meals to elderly and shut-ins but I am not sure how to get in contact.

2. cece

cece Well-Known Member

3. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

You could also call a local assisted living facility and offer to come bring a meal to someone whose family won't be taking them home for Thanksgiving....

4. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

You have any center in mind that you know really needs this. I am doing Thanksgiving at my house and I know will have plenty of food and would love to do this. PM or call me...

5. ccampbell

ccampbell Guest

6. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

and Christmas?

I'm going to piggyback on this thread to ask about Christmas also. The last 2 years I tried the places recommended in the forum and was berated (by those places) because I tried to inquire only a couple of weeks beforehand.

7. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Call Ms. Kelly Saturday 9:35 a.m. 661-6565 for ideas in Cleveland

We currently have several shut in singles and how about the Old School retirees for hot meals? The local food pantry clients - although it would be nice to give them whole meal kits to take home on Saturday 20th or Monday 22nd. The pantry has no cooking on site.

8. JayT

JayT Well-Known Member

9. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

A dear friend spends MUCH of his time with Garner UMC's outreach program. I have sent him several teens that were looking for volunteer opportunities and all have turned out to be a blessing. Let me know if you would like contact info. :)

11. JayT

JayT Well-Known Member

So they aren't all filled... Good to know that if people are looking forward to volunteering, that there are places that can use them.