The best Free activity this summer

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Melynda, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

My son attended golf camp at the Pine Hollow Golf Course in Clayton this week. He loved it!!!!! The instructors have been wonderful. This was a FREE 3 day camp. I have a feeling my family will be spending a lot more time at the golf course after this. My son has been to lots of camps ... ski camp, science camp, wrestling camp, baseball camp, football camp ... but he has never enjoyed himself as much as he has at this camp.

2. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

I wish I would have know about it before it started.

3. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

This was our 1st time participating. It was just by luck that I heard about it. I was looking to sign my son up for golf lessons & the free camp was suggested instead. Apparently its something they do each year. I believe it was sponsored by Four Oaks Bank. They actually do this 3 times each summer. By the time I found out about it ... the other weeks were all full. I'll be sure to mark this on my calendar so I will remember to call them next year. It was great!!

4. XLSweetTea

XLSweetTea Well-Known Member

benson mule days is coming up - that's a great free event (partial) to end the summer on! Next weekend i think.

5. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Because of it's reputation I've always avoided it but I went last year for the first time because my girls were in the parade. I'm going again. I saw things I never would have imagined. One of my favorites way the golf card being pulled by a horse.
    We were there during the day, and will probably keep it that way but it was good safe fun.

6. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Its Sept 26, its always the 4th Sat of Sept. :hurray:

7. XLSweetTea

XLSweetTea Well-Known Member

i've lived here forever and never went. I hear they will have bands, a rodeo and lots of food. Where is the best place to park? Best time of day to go? Best thing to see? Will try to make it this year, got relatives coming in that have heard about it - i think they think it is a "joke" kind of thing but they will be very suprised at how big it is!

8. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I haven't been to Mule Days in years, but I remember it was always fun! I think back to when I was in high school and me and my girlfriends used to cruise Benson on the weekends! We were lucky to have lived through those years. Met some good looking soldiers, rode around in countless circles, and always had a great time. Do they still allow cruising? I may be telling my age by asking!?! :cheers:

9. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Reviving another old thread...can you tell I'm trying to fill my kid's summer up with activities? LOL Anyway...the Pine Hollow website doesn't have much information on this either. It says they do the golf sessions 3 times, but I only see the dates for the June session (which my kids can't do, I'll be out of town) Does anyone know the other dates they do it? And it doesn't cost anything, is that correct?

If anyone knows of any other cool activities/camps that don't cost an arm and a leg, please let me know! My oldest is doing a nature camp at Lake Benson Park in July, and wanting to get my middle son in a baseball camp, not sure what else we're doing yet.

10. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

The space camp in Alabama was a thrilling thing for my oldest. He slept in a rocket. He absolutely loved it.

11. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was going to be about something else.:twisted:

12. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

How about dropping them off at a tobacco farm and make them prime all day. It will keep them healthy, get them sick of tobacco, and will show them responsibility.

13. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Found this when I was looking up things for my kids...unfortunately, the ones I would really like to do are full but there are still some pretty good actiivites available. And at a decent price I might add...

http://johnston.ces.ncsu.edu/index.php?page=youth4h

Oh, and you don't have to be in the 4-H to go! 8)