THE FLIPPIN' NERVE OF SOME PEOPLE

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by WhatNow, Mar 27, 2012.

1. WhatNow

WhatNow Well-Known Member

I was going to buy a used trampoline for $30 from a listing on Craigslist today. I talked to the guy & told him my husband would be there this evening to pick it up. My son was SO excited & the man KNEW that my son was so happy about it. I asked him to PLEASE not sell it before my husband got there & said he would not. My husband & son drove over an hour only to get there and find the guy had sold it to someone else an hour or so earlier after he PROMISED it to me.

My son is SOooo brokenhearted :cry::cry::cry: and I am absolutely LIVID. :banghead:

It was such a MEAN, MEAN thing to do. I will post in classifieds that I am looking for one. If you know of anyone wanted to get rid of a sturdy trampoline for a reasonable price, I would appreciate a heads up. Tks

2. busymama

busymama Well-Known Member

You're right. That WAS a very mean thing to do. Well, what goes around comes around, right? Hopefully, you'll find another one soon!

3. WhatNow

WhatNow Well-Known Member

I am trying to find another one.

I left to guy a phone & a text message & he never returned it - imagine that.

4. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

You must be new to craigslist. It's sorta a rule. First come first served. I know I have been burnt in the past by people saying they were going to buy something and did not show. I would have done the same thing.

5. reeteach2

reeteach2 Well-Known Member

I had a similar thing happen to me this week, except it was a chest of drawers for my daughter. Very disappointing! Anyone selling a 5 drawer or more chest for a reasonable price?

6. ServerSnapper

People selling stuff simply can't trust you guys to do what you say. If someone else offered to buy on the spot...it's gone. It's not their problem. It's yours for asking them to wait. They simply will not wait if money is in hand from someone else.

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

If I tell someone I'm on the way with money in hand and give them an ETA, I expect it to still be there when I get there. We bought an ATV just like that the other night. The guy knew we were coming and held off a few others until we completed the purchase. And he then sent out an email to let them know it was sold (he sent it to us by accident too) NICE guy and he may buy our travel trailer from us. That's how decent people do business.

If you sell something out from under someone knowing they are on their way and traveling a good distance, then you are an *******.

I've bought and sold lots of things off CL and have never had that issue. Yes, I've had a few no-shows here and there, but I will at least wait til after the time they were supposed to be there before moving onto the next one. I guess common courtesy is a dying thing.

8. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

wrong way to do it,,,Right way,, if you tell someone you will hold it, well damn it hold it... ask the other person for their # and let them know you will call them to come get it if other person doesn't show when they said they would. Lets be a little more honorable out there. It all starts with you Snapper... lose that me, me me attitude.

9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Bottom line, be a man or woman of your WORD! If you say something, do it. If you won't wait until then, just say that!

10. 27577

27577 Guest

even if the other person offered more money so said item, the seller should of atleast called the first person and allowed them to counter-offer. atleast thats how i would of done it.

but the way it happened, the kid was taught a valuable lesson

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
  11. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

When someone asks me to hold something, we agree on a time limit. If someone else comes along during that time, I explain the agreement and ask if they will wait. I usually won't agree to hold anything more than 24 hours. I've been burned by no-shows before, but I will not break my word.

I don't know what was said in this situation, but you have to be very specific in your agreement.

12. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

I also got burned by no-shows, so after that, I always told people that the first one to show up with the money would get the item. If others hadn't shown up after it was sold, I'd contact them to let them know that the item was no longer available.

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

If thats the way you do business, you're an a$$. I'd atleast wait to move on to the next person if the first person didn't show. To sell it out from under them, thats just being an *********. :?

14. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

yep. it's true. kinda the way it is on CL. You don't know how many people probably had told them the same exact story and never showed up...he turned away other buyers, waiting for that one that 'promised' to come at 7....it's the nature of the beast unfortunately.

15. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

and I have given time limits to buyers, meaning I say "If I dont hear from you by such-and-such" then I am moving on....and I have been told that when I bought something.

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I just don't operate that way. If you say you will be here at 7, I will wait til 7:10 and then move on the the next one. I don't need the money bad enough to screw somebody over that's driving an hour to come get whatever it is. I treat folks the way I'd like to be treated on stuff like that. Besides, who wants an irate person in their driveway? NOT me! They have your address!! LOL

17. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the time I tried to buy a deer head off a feller in Mebane. Was gonna fix up my daughter's room real nice while she was away at summer camp. I drived all the way up there only to find out that his roomate decided he wanted to buy it instead. Crock of bull hockey!

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Not a thing wrong with that. But if that's what's said, then stick to it. :cheers:

19. ServerSnapper

The bottom line is most of the people who buy off of craigslist are trying to buy something cheap. Most times cheaper than what's posted. A lot of you just probably don't use craigs list a lot. Saying how you THINK it should be. But it isn't that way. Same things have happened to me. I went to pick something up. Gone. That's just the nature of the cheap train. Tassy I am an ******* anyway. Are you saying something new? Come on. How it should be and how it is are two different things. Reality is. First come first serve. He who has cash first wins. Now you all know.

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

SS, I'm no CL newbie by any stretch, I'd say DH or I buys something off CL at least a couple times a month if not more because of the ATV's and the antiques I buy and sell. Justify being a jerk all you want, doesn't make it right. No skin off my nose, just saying.