the Flu stinks

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by peppercorns, Jan 4, 2007.

1. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

AS if I havn't had enough.... I have had the flu since last Saturday. Yes I went to the doctors and there is no secondary infection like bronchitis or anything so that is good - especially with my track record. He gave me cough medicine with vicodin in it and it made me sick. Other then that I have been taking that mucinex stuff, (seems to work good) and lots of old fashioned vicks.
    Anybody got any good home remedies that don't cost and arm and a leg?

2. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

TheraFlu always makes me feel better.

Vicks vapor rub at night

And nothing beats honey, lemon and whiskey!!

Sorry you feel bad!

3. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

My DH has it and won't go to the Dr. I'm just hoping that the girls and I don't get it.

4. Itsmeagain

Itsmeagain Well-Known Member

I had it all last week.
    Lots of vicks, nyquil, motrin & tylenol cough and cold.
    I actually feel 90% better today. DS & DH is starting to
    get it now. :(

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Lots and lots of chicken noodle soup!!!!

DH still has a lingering cough but is much much better!!! Thank goodness.

6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I make a mean ckicken-noodle soup, girl! Let me know if I can hook you up!

7. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

I am too tired to make chicken noodle soup. i think I will have kiddo open a can later. Pseudo soup..lol.

i like nyquil too but someone told me there is no longer a decongestant in Nyquil. ???

8. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I have a new bottle of Nyquil, here are the active ingredients, per dose:
    Acetominophen 500 mg ..... Pain reliever/fever reducer
    Dextromethorphan HBr 15 mg ......... Cough suppressant
    Doxylamine succinate 6.25 mg ........... Antihistamine

So, no Decongestant, but I think the Antihistamine works somewhat similarly. Maybe somebody with more time than I have will google it and tell us the difference.;)

9. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it's too late for you if you've had it more than a couple of days, but for anyone else who starts with the flu, go to the Dr. and insist on getting a prescription for Tamiflu. It's an antiviral and if taken within 2 days of getting the flu, dramatically shortens the duration and intensity of the symptoms. It basically stops the virus from multiplying in your body so it can be shed quicker. The one year I didn't get the flu shot due to the shortage, I caught the flu and was lucky to get Tamiflu. I felt almost completely better within about 4 days--and yes they had tested me to make sure it was really the true flu. It also worked on my daughter when she caught it.

10. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Pepps :neutral: .

TheraFlu works for me. Mucinex too (but $$$, isn't it?!), as does a lot of fluid. Need anything just PM me. I'll bring it by on my way home from work!

{hugs} feel better!
    Frogger