Things to do in Atlanta...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Clif001, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

My son is going on a walkabout starting this weekend. He's going to walk the Appelachian Trial. His Mom and I will be bringing him to the start of the trail in Georgia and, since we're near there, we decided to stop in Atlanta and check it out. I've driven through, but have never stopped.

About the only thing I know for sure that I want to visit is "The Varsity", which I've seen on the Food Network.

But I'm not sure what else is worth seeing. I'm not that big of a fan of Coca-cola, but that might be worth a stop anyway. Other than that, Delta and Turner Field, I don't know what else Atlanta has to offer.

So, if y'all were in Atlanta for a day or two, what would you do?

Oh, and a recommendation for a reasonable hotel would be nice too. :)

2. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

kinda cold to be starting the AT isn't it?
    my niece did the entire trail about 3 summers ago, met her current boyfriend while hiking - they just returned from a trip to India this past Dec, did lots of hiking there too!

good luck to your son!

3. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

The Coke museum is pretty neat actually.

Stone Mountain

The Underground

And arguably one of the most interesting things down there is the Cyclorama. Even if you are not a history buff, its darned impressive. http://www.atlantacyclorama.org/

4. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

The Atlanta aquarium is cool. This summer I plan to dive in the tank with the whale sharks.

5. Grinder

Oh also, go eat dinner at the top of Peachtree Tower at dusk. Very cool. Kinda expensive though.

6. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

That's what I said. :) But try to talk him into/out of whatever he has his mind set on is fruitless. He takes after his Mom in that. :)

Thanks. :)

7. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Are you talking about "The Commerce Club"?

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

The zoo!

9. Grinder

Dunno what the name of it was. Its been years but at the time we went, it was a big restaurant at the top of the tower. Glass windows all around and you could see for days.

10. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

The Aquarium is cool. World of Coke is ...meh.

11. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Cheetah Lounge

12. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I agree with Grinder...and if you're going to the Varsity, that's pretty much ALL you need! :mrgreen:

I guess after living there for most of my life, I should know a little more about places of interest. Guess I only went to the places that interested me...the Varsity, which is still on my list of things to do every time I go home. If it were baseball season, you would HAVE to catch a Braves' game! It's a little cold right now to do anything at Stone Mountain, but it is a nice place to visit and there are indoor things as well. The World of Coke is cool and also, Centennial Park is nice, just go during the day. I never visited the Aquarium there, only in Chattanooga. There's also Fernbank Science center if you're into that sort of stuff. Found a website that might be helpful that offers a pass for several attractions...http://www.citypass.com/atlanta.

Hope this helps and enjoy your visit!

13. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

While I appreciate and enjoy zoos, aquariums and museums, these are things that we have around here (yes, I know they're different there but I'm looking for stuff only Atlanta offers and, honestly, is a lion in Atlanta really different from a lion in Asheboro?).

I'd like to see Stone Mountain. Although, like Mt. Rushmore, there's not much to do after you look at it (watch the Grand Canyon scene in National Lampoon's Family Vacation to see what I mean). Albeit interesting, it's hardly worth the drive just to look at a giant sculpture when I'm sort of limited on time (effectively one full day).

The Coca-cola plant is still an option. It does sound neat, and I've heard they have one heck of a soda fountain there (at least I remember something like that from the Travel Channel).

How about night life? Not much into hip-hop, but I like a lot of other genres.

14. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I looked up a link, but cannot get past the first page at work (company policy).

But I like the general direction. :jester:

15. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Someone already mentioned the Underground. You don't strike me as the type for Buckhead.

16. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

What "type" is the type for Buckhead?

17. Grinder

I really like getting down there about 2AM and just driving on the highways down there. Especially the 25 story tall overpasses.

Srsly.

18. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

State plays at GT on Thurs. Go early.

19. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

20. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Dang I always thought it was a place for Preppy/Yuppies to hang out. Explains a few things about some of the guys I know that hung out there.

I hate populated places so I stay out of large cities as much as I can. Still don't know why he is dropping the kid off in North Georgia and going to Atlanta. I would certainly visit Helen,GA before driving to ATL