This is for you PET lovers!! Get ready to get MAD!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ServerSnapper, Mar 29, 2012.

1. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/1...-family-set-to-lose-house-over-dog-ordinance/

Taking Liberties: Wisconsin family set to lose house over dog ordinance

By Douglas Kennedy
    Published March 15, 2012 | FoxNews.com
    336x280 advertisement

Melissa Lecker is walking outside her three-bedroom home in downtown Wausau, Wis., and talking about her dogs.
    “These dogs are our family,” she says as she looks down at two 13-year-old golden retrievers, Abbie and Jesse.
    Right behind her are her 1-year-old Yorkie, Archie, and Chester, her 3-year-old shih tzu.
    “They are just like our children,” she says.
    In fact, she says emphatically her four dogs are more important to her than her money or even her home.
    “This house doesn't mean as much to us as they do.”
    Ironic because it’s the house she and her husband are set to lose because of their love for their pups.
    James and Melissa moved to Wausau in early January, buying a new home and what they thought was the beginning of a great life in Wausau.
    What they didn’t know is Wausau has an ordinance limiting the number of pets.
    In Wausau, for instance, you can’t have more than three cats, three gerbils or three rabbits. And, unfortunately for the Leckers, you can’t have more than two dogs.
    “I couldn’t believe it,” she said when a police officer told her she was over the dog limit and subject to a fine of more than $100 per day. “I had never heard of anything like that.”
    She says town officials have given her an unbearable choice.
    “They told us that the ordinance clearly states they cannot work with us… that it's either two dogs or that you have to move, as you can't have four dogs here.”
    No one from Wausau would return repeated calls from Fox News for comment. Not Mayor James Tipple. No one from the Wausau City Council. Not even Lisa Rasmussen, chair of the Public Health and Safety Committee, which oversees the pet ordinance.
    But in local articles town officials have said their hands are tied.
    "Our current ordinance doesn't allow for a variance," Wausau city attorney Anne Jacobson told WAOW.com.
    Other city officials say the ordinance was passed in 1989 to curb animal “nuisance” complaints like dog bites.
    And one municipal attorney from New Jersey says he understands the purpose of the ordinance, particularly when it comes to dogs.
    “They smell. They bark. They have excrement,” explained attorney Jeff Gold, who fully supports laws limiting pets.
    “You’re not punishing [the Leckers], he explains. “You're regulating society.”
    He says animal regulations are some of the oldest regulations on the books.
    “Animals used to be in houses,” he explains. “They used to be in front yards. Society gets to regulate it.”
    “Well," counters Melissa while holding Chester in her arms, “I believe there are other ways to handle the nuisance complaints.”
    “They should punish the nuisances, not responsible pet owners.”
    Melissa says she has put her house on the market and is willing to take a $15,000 loss in order to keep her dogs.
    “I hope we can work something out,” she said. “But they are just being so mean. My dogs didn’t bother anyone.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/15/taking-liberties-wisconsin-family-set-to-lose-house-over-dog-ordinance/print#ixzz1qWwSTAHO

2. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

Nothing to get mad about but Kudos to the homeowner ....

Although she/they were negligent in reading about ordinances in the area PRIOR to making such a purchase, I am happy to read that they are not punishing the animals (so to speak) by giving them up.

Hope they find a doggie friendly place & read the fine print prior to acting.

Its sad that city can put such an ordinance in place .. specially when some people tend to their responsibilities correctly and regularly to be able to have what they have & work for. Then comes "the ones" who ruin things for everyone ...

3. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

That sounds like a horrible and unhappy town to live in

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Actually visited it a couple of times and it is a pretty nice place.

5. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

Only four, that's a problem? I wonder how such an ordinance passes? We would be in trouble, as we have eight canine companions...I can't imagine giving up ANY of them. We would choose to move, too. Who would want to live somewhere that discriminates against a multi-pet household?

:x

6. toysrmel.com

toysrmel.com Well-Known Member

I wonder how many fish are okay if you can only have 3 gerbils or would it then be gerbi? Any way I see the the reason for a limit in a urban or suburban area not rural , but how did they come to the number 3? I also think the Realtor might have mentioned this if it was such a issue.

7. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Aren't there towns around here that have pet ordinances like that - a limit to how many dogs you can have? I remember it being on the news a few years back, and thinking it was awfully close to home.

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Cary (did you really have to ask?)

Source

9. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

you always have these issues cry baby??? Yes maybe they did find the need to ask,, whiner.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Do you know the Realtor didn't? Or did they even use a Realtor? Speaking from personal experience, people only half listen, hear what they want to hear and/or don't read what they are given regarding such issues. I think they figure it won't apply to them or they are "special" somehow.

11. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Speaking of whining, what crawled up your backside?

12. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I believe Goldsboro has a restrictive ordinance also, but don't remember if it is 2 or 3 dogs you are allowed per household. The county (Wayne) does not though.

13. BuzzMyMonkey

whatever

14. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Apparenbtly someone didn't get their share of attention today. :rolleyes:

15. BuzzMyMonkey

LOL don't need or care for attention bub, just don't roll that way,, just calling you out for another dumb assumption post. Oh and while were at it still waiting to hear why and or how you saw anything political in that other thread, and proceeded to tell them where to post it at.

Comprehension issues possibly,,

16. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Comprehension issues definitely, on your part. I never told anyone where to post. I asked a question, that was all.

But I'm not goiung to feed your need for attention, so get over it.

17. BuzzMyMonkey

ASSume as you please

18. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

:evil: That article makes me so mad I could just .........:evil:

Yes. Punish the PROBLEM PEOPLE and NOT the ones who have pets that are well behaved and disciplined. What about people who have kids that can tear a place up worse than 9 dogs ever thought about doing??????? Dogs excrement outside, bark and smell??? Really?? Well some people's undisciplined kids "excrement" on the floor or other areas IN a house (which is WAY worse than outside) and paint the walls with it :ack:, some scream and cry and carry on more than dog barks in a day and sadly :cry: some smell due to noncaring parents!!!!!! So are we going to tell people to get rid of their kids??? No. Plain and simple.

I think it's HIGH time that people start to look at things on a case by case basis, IMHO. And as bad as this sounds, I feel a sense of gratification if someone with pets is turned down by someone and then a family with kids as described above move in.........:twisted: And what kills me is the ones who don't allow pets HAVE PETS OF THEIR OWN!!!!!!! :confused: I bet they wouldn't want to give theirs up.....:banghead:

Yes I am a bit:evil: and need to :chillpill: a little bit. But it just really gets under my skin..........

Sorry if I offended anyone but.............just sayin....

19. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Whatever™

20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I would not want to live in a world like this.

Granted some rules like the one this thread was started on might be a little extreme, but our society will not work if everything is enforced/judged on a case by case basis.