Thoughts about Veterans Day

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Clint, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Clint

Clint Well-Known Member

I have an idea....how about lets let all Veterans actually take Veterans day off. It makes me sick that there are people who protest against our country, don't support our troops, and will be sure to sit on their *** at home on Monday while many Veterans are still forced to work. Lets honor the people who have placed their life on the line for all of us. If your an employer of a veteran, stand up and acknowledge the service that your employee has done. Let's bring out the true meaning of Veterans Day - its not just another holiday for people other than veterans to take off. Past, present, and future, they are all heroes in my eyes.

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You are right These folks should get the day off and recognition for the service they did for their country.

Regarding your "don't support the troops" point, I personally don't know anybody who has taken this position, however I am aware of quite a few folks who are against the war, most are Veterans.

3. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

I asked my boss one year it I could take the day off and there is one other girl I work with who is a VET as well. He told us we could, just without pay..............:roll:

4. Clif

Clif Guest

I agree wholeheartedly.

5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Clif...and 4042 family...

thanks for your recognition. As a most unselfish group, I venture to say that few veterans think about having to work as a distraction. We joined, for the most part, with a belief of service before self. That's more our way of life. And, for most of us veterans who have good health, good jobs, .. a good life, as it were..would ask that our comrades who are less fortunate be remembered in your thoughts and deeds.

On behalf to those who are unable to respond, I thank you for your recognition. To this, I add my thanks and prayers for them, as well.

6. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I was told the same thing. What really ticks me off is every government worker will have the day off with pay.

On another note, isn't it great that companies like Golden Corral give any vet coming through the door on verterans day a free meal!!!

7. Clint

Clint Well-Known Member

Hatteras, I agree. I am a veteran as well and joined for love of country. I just find it sad that a day that is to honor Veterans is viewed by many as just another day off. Im not looking for us verterans to be placed on a pedastool but just wish the ones that do get the day off for veterans day know why they have the day off. I still think all employers should be mandated to allow veterans the day off with pay. Just my thoughts!

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Funny I'm reading this today.

DH wanted to know if he was off on Veterans Day, so I"m rearranging his schedule. :mrgreen:

Veterans Day is not listed on my Outlook Calander, so I already booked two jobs for him. :oops:

9. Hatteras6

Don't get me wrong, here buddy. I'm all for the day off with pay for us. It's kinda like one of those promises of a comp day from the first sergeant when we're busting our hump for the AGI, or raising money for AER, or winning a brigade competition. We all hope for those things, and wish they'd happen. They just never seem to hit the payoff, ya know. I recall those days of knowing...just knowing that once we RTB'd from a field exercise, that as soon as the battery was released (We were "dismissed" once in three years, by a young battery commander who inadvertently short circuited TOP's plans for a GI party..lol) that you'd had best forgo the shower, and unazz the battery area, lest the "Hey You!" roster caught you.

Ah those memories. When I got my commission and earened my company command, I made it a point to try to frustrate TOP's plans, which is why he rarely let me anywhere near one of his formations. We played a fun game. I'd try to dismiss them, he'd want to haul them in.

Thank you for your service.

10. God'schild

Hey! Do any of you where I would begin to start to to try to apply for a VA mortgage or how that works? I just don't want to screw something up. Do I call the local VA office? And is it like most military procedures, the old "hurry up and wait"? LOLOLOLOLOL

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

You need your VA entitlement document, then just call a lender regarding, most of them should be able to help you out. PM me if you need more information. ;)

12. Hatteras6

Not a financial expert, and don't play one on TV, but..

VA loans are fairly easier to do, as long as you have the paperwork you need. If you have your certificate of eligibility, advise your real estate agent or mortgage broker. At that point, they can take up the mantle.

And, remember, you can substitute your eligibility for another veteran's, or assume their loan..

13. God'schild

Oh really?? I did not know that......thanks, H6.

14. Clint

Clint Well-Known Member

Link to VA

http://www.vba.va.gov/

15. Clif

Clif Guest

Thanks for your kind words. However my response was purely and plainly personal. I'm a vet and would love to get off Monday.

16. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Clif, to you and all the other Vets on this board. Thank You!

SB

17. Clif

Clif Guest

(In my best Gary Cooper voice...)

Just doin' my job, ma'am.

18. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

VETERANS ROCK! I applaud you for your service to this great country.

Let's not foreget our men & women oveseas this Christmas who are fighting for freedom!

Greenville — A local group that brings holiday cheer to troops deployed overseas has issued an urgent plea for help as its supplies are far below its goals.
    The North Carolina branch of Give 2 the Troops sent 800 care packages – each with enough goodies for 10 soldiers – to war zones in 2006. The nonprofit wants to the same this year, but only has donations enough for between 25 and 50 boxes.
    "I'm panicked, because the troops depend on us," Barbara Whitehead, director of the state branch, said. She pointed to nearly empty warehouse shelves and added, "I don't know how we're going to divide this among 8,000 troops."
    The organization's bank account is almost empty, too. It cost $16,000 to ship boxes last year, Whitehead said.
    The shortage of money and supplies comes as the year-round operation enters its busiest season: Christmastime. Give 2 the Troops already has requests for holiday packages from 125 units, and Whitehead said she only expects that number to increase.
    "Can you imagine being in the desert or the mountains of Afghanistan, cold at night, far away from your family and friends, with no recreation whatsoever, except what comes in a care package. No holiday food?" she said.
    Whitehead said she did not know why people have stopped giving to the group, but speculated North Carolinians' sense of urgency about troops' needs might have abated with the return of the 82nd Airborne Division.
    "For some reason, people have stopped resounding to the needs of our deployed military," she said.
    Although Whitehead's Army son returned from war two weeks ago, she pointed out that more than 167,000 U.S. troops are still in Iraq and 26,000 in Afghanistan.
    "I don't want to send a message to the troops that North Carolina does not care," Whitehead said.
    Businesses are encouraged to sponsor postage for a week or a month. Employees could also pack a stocking full of goodies.
    Monetary donations, handwritten cards and letters can be sent to:

Give2TheTroops, Inc.
    ATTN: Barbara Whitehead, NC Branch Director
    3109 Landmark St.
    Greenville, NC 27834
    Needed Christmas Items
    • Stockings
    • Garland, miniature trees, ornaments, and other decorations
    • Pocket games, and board games
    • Electronic hand-held games
    Other Popular Items
    • Protein-rich snacks, like peanuts, granola bars, sausage sticks, tuna in pouches, trail mix, exercise bars
    • Flavored drink mix pouches that simply be poured into a bottle or camel back of water.
    • Hard candy
    • Popcorn
    • Microwavable pasta bowls or macaroni-and-cheese
    For other ideas, click here.