Thrift/Consignment shops?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ferrickhead28, Aug 31, 2007.

1. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

Any bargain/thrift shops in the area? I'm looking for some real bargains, especially on plus size clothes.

Please, dont mention the Goodwill...last time I was in there, they wanted $20 for a beaten up shelf unit that you can buy (the exact same one!) at Walmart for $15.

Will travel. :D

2. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

My local fav's are the Garner Area Ministries Thrift Store (off US 70) and Basic Needs at 40/42.. The G-A-M store is only open till 1pm weekday, not sure about Sat. They have lots of SALES, turn over the clothes & do not put any RAGS out for sale. Basic Needs is open Sat 9-5 and Monday NIGHTS till 6-9. Shoes are the best deal there $1.00 a pair!
    Woo Hooo!

I love a used clothing deal! ;)

3. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I agree with Kelyel, and let me add these:

Tryon Hills Thrift store- in Garner/Raleigh on S.wilmington St at Tryon Rd, in the tryon hills shopping center- behind Burger King + the BBQ Diner place

Cause for Paws- on S. Saunders St in Raleigh, just inside the 440 beltline, on the left as you head north towards Raleigh- in the same strip as Fastenal.

American Way thrift- on Capital Blvd at Raleigh Blvd- north of downtown, but still inside the beltline. Same owners (I think) as Tryon Hills.

There's also a decent thrift store on Hwy 50, in the shopping center directly across from Garner First Baptist church- sort of hidden in there, but they usually put a sign out when they're open.

The first 3 I listed always seem to have some sort of sale going on (50% off blue tags, 25% off all men's items, etc), so check at the front of the store for a sign or bulletin board- or just ask the cashier before you shop.

Good luck!!

4. SeeMeComin

SeeMeComin Guest

Guardian Angel Thrift Store over in Fuquay-Varina - It's huge!

5. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Have you tried Basic Needs at 40/42? The prices are reasonable and all the money they make goes to helping the community. They are open tomorrow from 9-6.

6. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

Where is it located at, I have a friend that could use some stuff.
    Sheri

7. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

In the strip mall next to Bojangles (inbetween there and CVS) but it is in the back of the strip. Turn next to Bojangles and go around the back of the building.

8. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

thanks so much everyone!!!

We hit up the Basic Needs place and loved it! Got a Kate Spade and a Liz Clairborne purse for $2 a piece, two pairs of 9 West shoes, a pair of nike airs and a pair of sketchers all for $1 each!!!
    They had a huge selection of jeans, but I didnt find my size.

I really liked this place because everything was divided up by size. That was really helpful instead of having to go through each piece individually.

There is also a place in Cary called Helping Hand Mission in Cary. They have three bins in the back of the store, a women's bin, a man's bin and a children's bin. You get a brown paper bag (provided by the store) and everything you can fit in that bag is like $12. (price might have gone up since the last time I went!

We got ALOT of brand name clothes: Gap, liz clairborne, old navy, betsy johnson, channel, issac mizrahi, abercrombie & fitch, limited, Express, etc; etc.
    I also once scored a Michael Kors bag..that was exciting, lol.

Anyway, just paying it forward!
    (make sure you roll the clothes up real tight and stack them..you get more in the bag!)

Thanks again! :)

9. SeeMeComin

SeeMeComin Guest

Great information! Thanks for paying it forward!

Sue

10. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

I'm checking this place out the next time we are NEAR Cary. Thanks

Helping Hand Mission of Cary
    414 Old Apex Rd # C
    Cary, NC 27511

11. granola acres mayor

granola acres mayor Well-Known Member

I love to see that folk's know what pay it forward really means.
    My licence plate say's" pay it forward "and i get folk's say well what does that mean? it is nice to know im nbot the only one!!
    way to go
    happy Labor Day!!!

12. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

I zipped into the Salvation Army Thrift Store in S'field on Friday AND found a few deals:
    2 kids t-shirts - $.99 each
    one with glow in the dark BUGS & One from Spain with lizzards - can you tell we have a Son?!
    +
    1 pr Tommy H. jeans -$1.49 like new!

Like all thrifts - you never know what you might find!

13. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

Where is this store located? I don't know FV, so I looked up in the online yellow pages. Saw two addresses - 134 S. Main, just south of E. Academy, and 742 N. Main (42), near N.Ennis and Broad.

14. sheblondy

sheblondy Well-Known Member

Guardian Angel in Fuquay is a very good one ! Also, check out the new "Back Porch" and "Front Porch" in Fuquay. They are the little upper scale consignment shops in Fuquay in the old Varina strip. A friend of mine bought 10 dresses recently for $80 and most of them came from Ann Taylor.

15. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it's 742 N Main st. It's in an old strip mall, just behind an old (closed) McDonald's. Definitely worth checking into if you're in FV.

Kel

EDIT: Here's the link to Google Maps-
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...78.789718&spn=0.007678,0.014012&t=h&z=16&om=1

The arrow is in the wrong place, if you look at the Hybrid view- to the right of the green arrow, you'll see the red roof of the old McD's, the thrift is just behind that in the strip center.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  16. le

le Well-Known Member

Guardian Angel is the bomb! It is in the old Harris Teeter building which is midway b/w "new" Fuquay and "old" Fuquay. Be sure you have an hour to spare if ya go!

17. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

Thanks for the directions. I'll give GA a try.

Went yesterday to Basic Ministries and got a sweater/jacket for $5 and a pair of jeans for $4. I chatted briefly with the man in charge about being out of work, soon taking a job at less than 1/2 of what I was making before, and learning to live on less. (He and his wife did the same thing.) He was so nice to me, offering services and even food, that I almost came to tears.

18. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Ron at Basic Needs is wonderful.
    He & his wife, Sandy, do SOOOOOOO much for our little slice of heaven.

Plus
    he is a hoot to chat with! :)

19. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Bumping because this is good info. Any to add?

20. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

I agree with not going to Goodwill anymore. I get so irritated with the one off of Tryon in Garner that has half the furniture marked "not for sale" b/c they are using it as a display or to "stage" the store-seriously- Not to mention most of their stuff is way overpriced. The other one on Tryon is definitely my favorite, next to Basic Needs of course. Pizzaz in Clayton is also great, and all the proceeds benefit Harbor. Glad to know I am not the only Thrift store junky! I find some of the best stuff at thrift stores!