Tires

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Anybody ever buy tires over at Wal mart @ 40/42?

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Nope, Clayton Tire is my guy.

Sherry

3. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

No, but I know some people who have. I have heard good and bad. What I didn't like was that Walmart couldn't check or do an alignment on the vehicle.

4. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Nope. But I did just buy a set of Michelins from Discount Tires over on 401. Best price around by far and they even gave me free rotations for life on my other cars for no additional cost. I bought the tires and set the appointment online and when I showed up for my appointment I was in and out in 50 minutes! Great customer service.

5. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Yup, a few years ago I used them, cheapest around for the tires I bought.

6. mgzd

mgzd Well-Known Member

I tried to twice, but they were always very unorganized or too under staffed to get the job done.

7. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

You'd be darn lucky if you got someone to even do it at that WM. Every time I try to get an oil change there, they tell me they are understaffed and the wait is 2+ hours. Went to the Clayton WM the the day and was in and out in a little over 30 minutes!

8. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Spare Tire Question

I took the spare tire cover off this afternoon and I noticed that other than being dirty it is in perfect shape. It was never used. Though it is 8 years old. No cracks on the front side or on the treads. Even though it is 8 years old can it still be used as a spare?

9. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

If I needed it as a spare for a slow speed, less than 5 miles distance to repair a good tire, I'd say OK. If it was gonna be a long ride, probably not. I tend to consider worst case scenarios...and my family is worth a good spare.

Although you may not visibly see any damage, the rubber has been exposed to ozone, etc.

10. Bluewillow

Bluewillow Well-Known Member

I need to purchase a Kumho tire. Any recommendations for a place in this area. I know there are websites but DH prefers to develop a relationship with a local business. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  11. Bluewillow

I forgot to add. Has anyone had a recent experience with Tire Rack.com and using a local shop to install? Thanks!

12. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I have done that with several installers and tirerack.com over the past 10 years or so. I have 3 vehicles including a sports car, so I go through tires fairly often. Just Tires at 40/42 has been pretty good to me recently. I have found some good deals on tires with these guys as well - performancetread.com

13. Bluewillow

Thanks so much! Tirerack.com seems to have the best prices so far. They list installers in our area but I didn't know anything about any of them. I only need to replace one Kumho tire. Again, thanks for the info.

14. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

Tri County Auto may install them for you. They may also match Tire Rack price if you call and ask.

15. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

If you want the least hassle and most consistent experience, go to discount tire. Also, on all but one of my vehicles, which has an odd size (among other issues), I always run Michelins. Again, the most consistent experience brand-wide of any tire I've used for over 2 decades.