Today's Stupid News

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Clif001, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

http://now.msn.com/school-says-deaf-boys-name-sign-looks-too-much-like-a-gun?gt1=50501

The Grand Island (Neb.) school district is forcing a 3-year-old deaf boy to change the way he signs his name, because they say his gestures violate their weapons policy.

Yes, you read that right. The kid has to change the way he forms his hand sign to represent his name because it is (officially registered, mind you) an extended index finger which school officials say "resembles a gun".

2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

That must be a liberal arts school

3. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I won't even give this much thought. I have a deaf son. Sorry, but hands of a 3yo are not a weapon unless you count drawing on carpet w/ marker. You can't ask him to change his name. That's ridiculous. Deaf names are given to people by other deaf people. It's how the culture works. I have a deaf son. I had a friend that used to live in Durham. His son got in trouble for making a gun out of legos in preschool. His father was a police officer and he was trying to be like his dad. Got suspended for zero tolerance. I'm sorry but zero tolerance tends to equate zero common sense. We were younger, people drove to school w/ gun racks...with guns! No school shootings that I recall way back when. People were taught to be responsible. Okay, said enough as I don't want this to turn into a political debate. This is about a kid that truly is being treated unfairly at 3yo.

Stephanie-- mom to 10