Tolls on I95?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Gomer Pyle, May 29, 2010.

1. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

What do you folks think about this? On on hand, we pay (..and have paid!) for it's construction and maintenance with our tax dollars. On the flip, maybe only those who use it should pay and those who don't shouldn't.

My recollection (...shaky at best) is that the Interstate system was put in place by the Eisenhower administration and was partially funded by DoD in order to move troops around the country and 'provide for the national defense'? Times change, of course...

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

After driving it today it was pretty clear that the majority of the users are out of state/country users who probably don't pay towards our gas taxes.

3. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

i say put one at each border...

4. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I think that has been mentioned, at least on each side of the Va -NC border.

5. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

i meant one entering nc from va, and one entering nc from sc...

6. agree

7. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

I thought the title was "Trolls on I95?"
    Must be the book that i'm reading.:)

8. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I at first didn't want to admit it earlier today but since it happened to you too I might as well,I thought it said Trolls also :lol:

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

If they'd actually channel on the funds to that particular road it would be worth it. Certainly better than having to pay $80 a pop for wheel alignments! Of course, since 301 mostly parallels I-95, you'll have quite a few that will take it to drive around the tolls at the borders.

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I think GM and Chrysler got a taste of that awhile back. :)

11. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Thank you, my point exactly- like the entire Interstate system, it was built our federal taxes and I'm certain a significant portion of it's upkeep is paid for with our federal taxes...sooo, why should any American pay twice for the same thing?

I will never drive on most of the Interstates I pay for so why should I pay twice for the small percentage I might actually use?

And, yes, the Interstates are generally in crappy shape but that's largely due to mismanagement and misappropriation (both legal and not so...). Why must we pay because someone failed to do their job properly?