Traffic Tix advice

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kdog, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

I got a speeding ticket this monring for a 51 in a 35 coming off the highway. My last ticket was 8 years ago and I used my prayer for judgment card. Can I still use it now since its been 8 years ago? or should I try to get it reduced? any advice?

Thanks

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

YES you can use PJC.

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I think that violations like that only stay on your record for 3 years (points wise). I think this infraction will be counted as a first offense. In some counties they'll let you use an improper equipment plea for the first offense. When I got my first ticket in 18 years back in May '08, my attorney used the improper equipment plea. I got a second ticket in November '08 and another attorney got a speed reduction for that. The last one told me that typically a prayer for judgement was used for a third ticket. I don't know, though.

4. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Save your PJC in case you get another ticket. They will gladly reduce it to 44 in a 35, and it won't count for insurance, since you haven't had another violation in the last 3 years.

5. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

The worst part about a pjc is that if you OR ANY OTHER DRIVER IN YOUR FAMILY gets a ticket in the next three years your pjc is reversed...Just pay the ticket if its been 8 yrs. go to your court date get it knocked down pay the $190 or so. the insurance only will go up about $70 a year.

6. KDsGrandma

Or, as I suggested, get it reduced to within 10 miles of the speed limit and it won't count for insurance purposes if you don't have another moving violation within the 3 year period. If you get another within 3 years, they will go back and pick this one up. That's why you want to save the PJC in case you get another.

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

WHAT???

Nevermind what I said... :ack:

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Also make sure you don't have any minor fender benders, because the "accident forgiveness" up to $1200 or so is a no-go with a moving violation on your record. Reading the story on WRAL about the "improper muffler" plea, I guess I was lucky to be able to get that in '08. Sounds like many DA's offices have stopped using that. Of course, I probably wouldn't have gotten the first ticket had I been using my V1 instead of it being in the backseat.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  9. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

Should I hire an attorney to knock it down for me or just try it myself?

10. KDsGrandma

You can do it yourself, if you can take the time off work to go to court. Depending on your job, it could pay to hire an attorney and not have to miss work.