Transmission mechanic

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by grandma4, Nov 29, 2012.

1. grandma4

grandma4 Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy mechanic that can diagnose transmission problems? Problem is a 2000 Plymouth Voyager that won't shift into OD. Could a flushing and new filter be the problem? any advice? thanks.

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Well I am going through my own transmission issues right now. I initially went to Shift Right in Benson just off of 50 on elevation road. It fixed the problem for about two months, but now the problem is back. The guys at Shift Right are good. I just took it to Aamco in Garner. I am going to be taking it back to Aamco when school lets out to get it repaired. Aamco did a good job diagnosing the problem. The only reason I am going to take it to Aamco is cause they are nationwide, and once I get done with school and can start going back to Florida to see my family, if anything goes wrong I would have their warranty.

One thing I have heard is that sometimes doing a transmission flush can make what ever issue you are having worse.

Have you done transmission flushes on your 2000 Plymouth Voyager before?

And one thing the folks at Shift right did tell me was that eventually I was going to need a transmission.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  3. grandma4

I haven't done the flush- but I also read it could be as simple as a sensor-

4. Rockyv58

if it is just a sensor try Shift Right. When they get it up on the rack have them check the transmission fluid level also. If the fluid is black and has a burnt smell to it DO NOT have the fluid flushed. The guys at Shift Right will even tell you that.

Shift Right Auto
    919-207-1131
    Located near Mcgee's crossroads
    7616 Elevation rd
    benson, N.C. 27504
    919-207-1131
    http://ShiftRightAuto.com

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  5. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

I highly recommend Mike at Mike's Transmission up on 42. He has taken care of our transmission problems twice and I have found him to be honest and trustworthy both times, have recommended him to several friends and they have been very happy with him too

6. jcongdon1

jcongdon1 Active Member

My truck is with Mike right now as we speak. He's a good guy! :p

7. grandma4

Thanks everybody-

8. Rockyv58

warranty question

If a reconditioned torque converter is used should a warranty covering it be considered?

the additional cost would be as such
    36 month/36,000 miles would be an additional $324.58
    or the lifetime warranty at $699.58
    or go with neither and just get the transmission flushed like its suppose to