Traveling in Smithfield This Week? Watch for...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

North Front Street in Historic Downtown Smithfield, NC will be closed for much of this week as construction crews remove old gas tanks near the Little Brown Jug to prepare for the Neuse River Bridge replacement. N.C. DOT officials are asking drivers to use North Second Street instead.

2. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

The disgusting part is they saved that stupid bar to loose a historic bridge. Guess they made a nice fat donation to the town board or somebody.

3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

From what I had heard is that they would of torn down the bar just to use it as a parking lot for the heavy equipment while they tore down the bridge and built a new one.

4. SunShine26

SunShine26 Well-Known Member

That bar needs to go....it's an eyesore to me in that location.

5. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

The bridge' was built in the late 1920's and is far beyond repairs.

6. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Yeah, historic or not ... sometimes you just can't fix it and it needs replacing!

7. peppercorns

No, they could have fixed the bridge but the town officials voted that they would rather keep the bar then the bridge.

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

In all fairness more people go to see the bar, for its ties to Ava, than go to the bridge to admire it.

Personally never went in it and don't know if it was worth keeping or not.

9. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

OK, the bridge dates back to the twenties and the bar (building) only to the thirties but the bridge is mechanically unsound and the bar still stands.

I believe the building itself predates it's use as a bar, and that it was once a Pure Oil station back in the 30's. Legend has it that Ava Gardner's brother started it off as a bar some time in the 40's.

I can't find a decent picture of the Smithfield location, but there was a time when Pure Oil stations were as iconic as McDonald's is today.

[​IMG]

I get a kick out of that fact that the original island is still out there, even if the pumps (or what's left of them) is now covered with a pukka-jug.

Is it too soon to remember the "cows" at Moss' Grocery?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  10. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

that bar is $/square foot the single most valuable piece of real estate in johnston county

11. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I would like to see your structural reports please.

12. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I miss Moss's ... they had a great hot dog!

13. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

14. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

OK please explain why this is a "historic" bridge?

15. peppercorns

it's architectural design is far more eye pleasing the that ugly bar.

16. peppercorns

no smartie I don't have them..but seems to me, a repair or an overhall keeping with a historical design might have been nice. Ava's brothers bar,has lost any ascetically pleasing or "old fashioned" look it may have had. The old pics of the Pur Oil are nice, but the bar doesn't look anything like that.