Tropical Storm Ernesto - Any Concerns For Claytonians?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CakePrincess, Aug 31, 2006.

1. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

Greeting from Florida - we just got over with Ernesto storm. It wasn't bad at all as it went offshore. We got more than 4 inches of rain and 40 mph winds. Our Clayton house will be finished building in about 30 days.

Do Clayton ever experienced any flooding in the area? I know there is Neuse River nearby and I was wondering if the water get overflow? Any other Clayton area to watch out for? My new house is in Flowers Plantation, high and dry (I hope!).

Let me know after the storm is over. Stay safe and be dry. :)

2. Vitameatavegemin

Vitameatavegemin Well-Known Member

Clayton usually doesn't have terrible flooding...the Neuse will start flooding and get higher and higher after the storm, but it'll effect towns downstream (Smithfield will flood). We have a creek near my neighborhood that might flood (it did after hurricane Floyd and someone drove into it and died) but it won't cause property damage.
    It's 10:15 pm and the center is just off Wilmington (where my folks live) and it's just a couple miles under hurricane strength. Cat 1 storms don't impress the locals anymore (I don't even run out for milk and bread for a Cat 1) but it sends the transplants into a tizzy! :wink:
    Hope your house is high and dry...glad y'all made it through safe down there...

3. CakePrincess

That's right, now I remember the measurement stick against the tiny bridge near downtown Smithfield. We stayed at a new Super 8 motel, next to the outlet center, and we drove pass the tiny bridge to reach Ava Garner's museum, if you know what I'm talking about. Is that area flood-proned, too?

Living in FL for more than 20 years, Category 1 and 2 aren't a big deal to us. Anything over 3 and up, we had to board up the windows and get stock of foods/water. If 4 and 5, we for sure head outta of there! Been there, done that.

4. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Yes, that area by the bridge is flood-prone. Ernest has passed by to the east of us; we got some much needed rain, and some wind, but I have not heard reports of damage in the Clayton area. I'm actually about 15 miles to the west of where your new house is, but I think it would have made the local news if there was serious flooding or damage over there. One good source for local news, you may already know, is www.wral.com

Good luck with your new house, I know that's exciting!

5. racecitync

racecitync Well-Known Member

I can't remember y'all...was I supposed to go out and get bread and milk? :lol:

6. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

Cake Princess, are you the lady that is moving to Flowers Plantation and talked about maybe going into some part of the bakery buisness? If so, did you know that the bakery shop that planned to open on Main Street in Clayton has cleaned out the building and it is now up for rent. They were all set up but never opened their doors. Had tables outside, etc. Had a sign on the door about family/personal problems, etc. as the reason for opening delays for several weeks but the next thing I know the building is cleaned out and for rent again. I don't know what happened.

7. CakePrincess

hi barney - wow, that's interesting about the "cleaned-out" bakery! I didn't know that and I wonder why, too. Do you know who's in charge of renting tht building? Like a realtor? If you do, can you pm'd me with their phone number?

I watched the news earlier and so far, the storm is moving away from Clayton. It's brewing badly in Greensville/Wilmington right now.

8. MissyPrissy

MissyPrissy Well-Known Member

Not bread and milk.....weiners! :p :lol:

9. racecitync

racecitync Well-Known Member

don't u start :lol:

10. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Here in "South Cleveland" we have had about 5'' of rain, since Wednesday. Most has been slow & easy. Just a tiny bit of wind and only a few small limbs down.

11. MissyPrissy

MissyPrissy Well-Known Member

Too late! :lol: