TV and Ipod repair, Kenly area

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by LuvMy4Kids, Aug 29, 2013.

1. LuvMy4Kids

LuvMy4Kids Member

We have a flat screen TV and an Ipod that do not work, and are just sitting here. I would like to know where in the area to take them that won't charge us to just look, but to give us an idea of what it would cost before we commit. Thanks!

2. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

TV, no.

For the iPod, you might try ProWireless (in most malls).

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

http://www.garnertv.com/

Garner TV's owner used to live in Clayton and they fix TVs. You could call them to see if they do a free consultation.

Sherry

4. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I don't know of any electronics repair shop that doesn't charge for diagnostics? And if your "Flat Screen" means a CRT (a tube tv), I don't know of any repair shop that will work on them anymore?

If it's an LCD TV you can do a quick check yourself for the most common problem. Take off the rear cover and look at the capacitors (barrel shapes standing up with 2 wire leads) on the power board.

They have an "X" pressed in the aluminum top. If that X is protruding up in a dome shape or popped and burnt, that's part or all your problem. You could buy a $20 capacitor replacement DIY kit for the power board and fix it but you may find the damage went deeper? If it's less than 3 years old sell it for parts on CraigsList if you don't want the diagnostic fee.

The reason the shops charge for diagnostics is because they also verify the degree of damage in a chain of boards. That takes expensive electronic diagnostic equipment. If you decide not to repair, it goes unpaid. Machines need a paycheck too.:)

5. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I would take the iPod to the Apple Store or just call their 800-number. Most times they can service it over the phone. Or a free visit to their store.