TWC Modem

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kaci, Aug 19, 2013.

1. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Ok, finally caving and going back to TWC for internet, unfortunately the other two i have tried have been crappy. So getting the Turbo internet, already have a wireless box but want to buy my own modem to save that monthly fee. They have several listed on their website that are compatible but looking for advice on what you guys use before i purchase one. If you own your own modem with TWC please let me know your experiences and what the best one is.

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I can only speak for Standard and Basic service - up to 15MPS. The most common leased modems for basic and standard service is the Motorola SB5101. You can get that one on Ebay for cheap - $20-$25, but it's not necessarily your best bet. That one is DOCSIS 2.0, which I believe will be phased out. It will work, but you may find yourself with a brick in the future.

If you want one that is a safe bet to stay compatible with technology changes, get one that is DOCSIS 3.0 compatible. I suggest the Motorola SB6141. The 6121 is also a good one, but not quite as "future change proof", but it is a reasonable compromise between old and new.

3. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

About two years ago I did the exact same thing, looking for a cheaper provider for my internet and came right back to TWC. They have provided me with the most reliable and fastest internet service (Turbo), which is a must for us. I opted to go with their modem for the extra $3 per month, it's their responsibility to update it or replace it etc. I've just found them to be the most reliable for my area.

4. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

Just get the model number off your present modem and then buy the same on Ebay (refurbished @ $18.00) or Best Buy ($90.00).
    Hook it up and call TWC to activate. Then you can turn in the old one and no more 3.95 per month charge.

5. jcongdon1

jcongdon1 Active Member

I just bought a Motorola SB6141 on Amazon for $79.95 though I see the price went up $7.00 today so you have to watch it. There is also a SB6121 for $69.95 that is also adequate and will work on TWC.

6. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Our router died on us and we went to Best Buy for a router and ended up replacing TWC's modem too with a Motorola SBG6782, it's a modem and router in one, cheaper than having to separate devices. One thing to note is that if you have phone with TWC you will need to keep their modem (no charge) for the phone.
    We were amazed at the increase in speed and connectivity with the new modem/router. We have not opted for 20mps or the turbo from TWC, don't need it with the new equipment. Hope you find what works for you.

7. jbarrow0811

jbarrow0811 Well-Known Member

Can you tell me what you actually got? Brand/model? I am looking to get the same thing for us, esp since twc just started charging even more for the lease fee :( Thanks!

8. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Sorry have been away it's a Motorola whatever you quoted. It's a modem and router all in one.