Unemployed may have to repay benefits

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 28, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Yikes. I am out of work and collecting and just started back to school.

3. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

Why dont they just go after the ones collecting and working a job off the books

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

According to the article, it sounds like if you haven't already rec'd a letter about this, that you won't be affected.

5. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I think you are allowed to 'make' a certain amount and still receive ESC benefits.

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

You are, it depends on your $ #'s. For example, I can collect my weekly benefit amount and up to $104 in addition to that. Anything I make over $104 is deducted from my benefit amount.

7. cece

cece Well-Known Member

Attempting to collect money from the unemployed is like kicking someone when they are down. I think the vast majority of people are truly trying to find employment and should not be punished for the states mistake.

This is not something that people collect without contributing to in the first place. If they haven't worked, they wouldn't have been eligible in the first place.

8. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Now did these people get a few weekly checks for say....$485 over their normal amount and they sort of "didnt realize" they got more during those weeks and now they have been caught? Kinda like when the bank deposits an extra 50k in your checking....you know its not yours but you go spend it and then they want it back?

Or, did these people get their normal amount the entire time and maybe their benefits ran out but kept getting checks anyway?

Or are the people all on the up and up and for some reason the state wants some money back? Not sure i saw a "why" that they have to pay it back.

9. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

This is what the letter says:

"Based on a review of your claim, it has been determined that you received unemployment benefits to which you were not entitled. This overpayment of benefits occurred because an adjustment was made that was necessary to correct your claim"

My DH got this letter, and the amount is only $55, in looking back at his account online, his weekly amount was the same, it didn't just jump for the 4 week period that they said the overpayment was for. The same day we received the letter, we also received an email that a deposit was made to his unemployment debit card. He's not been unemployed since Feb, so he called them to find out what that was about, and was told there was an adjustment that was made, so we got some extra $$ and a bill all on the same day.