Vehicle Rental Suggestions,,,,,

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sdw714, May 13, 2010.

1. sdw714

sdw714 Well-Known Member

I will be needing to rent a minivan or SUV for 10 days the beginning of August to go out of state. Need something to hold 6 – possibly 7 – people comfortably. Never rented a vehicle before. Any suggestions on rental companies or where to find a good deal? Thanks!

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

PM HughT. I believe he rents cars for business.

Sherry

3. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

Also looking to rent a minivan the last week-end in July -- traveling to Kentucky for oldest son's wedding! PM me if you find any "good deals"~

4. sdw714

sdw714 Well-Known Member

Thanks Sherry,,,,,,I'll do that
    SubMom - - I'll let you know what we come up with. I know it's going to be pricey but just hoping to find something at least reasonable. If you happen to find any deals please let me know as well.

5. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

The best thing I've found so far is Enterprise and that is with pick-up in Smithfield. I'm still looking -- we will be needing ours for 5 days. That is with 1200 miles and $.25 for each additional mile. National has unlimited miles - but you gotta go to RDU to pick up. Is it worth the drive???

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

You might just have to call and shop around.

Enterprise Rent A Car
    Triangle
    Thrifty

OH and if you are traveling far, get the damage waiver.

7. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Our family happens to like the one I put in bold above. Don't know if they have vans.

Listen to HG on the damage waiver.

Sherry

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I used to work at ERAC down in Wilmington, trust me on the damage waiver!!!

Yes they have mini vans & 15 passenger vans, if you are taking everything but the kitchen sink you might want an Expedition, Surburban or minivan.

Good Luck!

9. oth

oth Guest

I have preferred Enterprise over many others

I have preferred Enterprise Rent-A-Car over the years.
    I have always used the location on:

Enterprise on Hwy 70 & Guy Rd.....
    (by the Hess gas station)

I have rented over 20 cars there, over the last 3 years, and have always had a goods experience.
    The vehicles at Enterprise have been in better conditions than from some of the other 'big' rental car companies.

Some new car dealers like Toyota and Ford also rent vehicles.
    Always good to shop around.

It is less expensive (less fees) to rent from a non-airport location.

10. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

If you are traveling out of state be careful about renting from a more "local" or "regional" company. If the company doesn't have a location in the states you are going through and to, and you break down, help in the form of a new rental could be many many hours away. For example, Triangle Rental Car is not a national chain, but they do have locations, I think, in a couple of neighboring states. So you might get a better price with one of these smaller companies but it might cost you if you have a problem far from home, where a larger, national company would have locations to help you in every state.

11. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

And always double check with your own insurance to see what you are actually covered for, because it is possible that if you are renting a vehicle that is worth a lot more than your own that you may not be entirely covered. The loss damage waiver can be a great peace of mind too because if you are renting a type of car that you are not used to driving the likelihood of an accident goes up, and you are responsible for every little nick and scratch, every window chip, every door ding on that car, and if you pay for the loss damage waiver, you just don't even have to worry at all.

12. Local Lady

Local Lady Well-Known Member

We always rent from Budget in Knightdale. We've rented everything from small & medium size cars for a day or weekend to a full size Surburban for a 10 day trip. Unlimited mileage which means no extra charge for mileage cause that can really add up quick.

13. AppleFritters

AppleFritters Well-Known Member

I found that RDU worked best for us. At least there you don't pay for days that you don't need. Many of the locals are closed on the weekends so you find yourself paying for unnecessary time. RDU is 7 days a week. We went to VA for a few days, picked up the car around 5am that same day. RDU hours is more convenient than most locals. You just have to balance out what works for you.