Veterinary costs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 21, 2012.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

After having been to the vet twice with Lucy and Willie-two rabies vaccines,one annual booster shot for Willie,nail trims,heartworm checks and general exams plus some anxiety meds for Lucy (Anxitane $50 for 30 tabl. which I could have gotten for $24 online) I spent over $500 last week.On top of that I just might have to go back next week since one of the her issues isn't resolved yet.

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Always ask to see if a pets prescription can also be filled at your own pharmacy, like CVS or Walgreens. Alot of times they are much less there too.

3. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

The nail trimming is what "kills" me ! Really.. charge for it? I honestly feel that vets should include this in the office visit fee for a dog getting vaccinations or there for an illness problem.

Most times the tech is in the room already assisting the vet anyhow.

Oh well ... done ranting - thanks :allears:

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yeah, asked the vet to take care of the new dog's nails at her first visit. $12. WTH???

Needless to say, I won't be asking for that again. :evil:

Anyway, I feel your pain Annette. You know what I've been through with my other dog with severe allergies. I think the worst is over on the meds because the only thing that gives her any relief, cheap or expensive is prednisone. Pred is cheap. But it's a matter of time before that causes other issues. :banghead:

5. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

You may want to check out Old Stage Vet Hospital. Our annual exams and shots for two were about 1/2 the cost.

6. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

I second that!

7. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

We have a mobile vet. Not the one advertised on here. This one is based out of Cary but she comes out here often. Many clients out in the 40/42 area. She doesn't charge an excessive amount. It was WAY cheaper for me to go through her than the Cleveland School Animal Hospital. We have 3 dogs. She doesn't push all these petty check ups and unnecessary items. It's awesome. And, she answered my call when my dog sounded like he was losing a lung on a Friday night at 8pm. Though she could not "officially" dx over the phone w/ out seeing him, she did not feel it was cause for alarm. I was on the fence of going to the emergency vet. Walk into the door of those places, it's $700 to $800 for walking in. Ask me, I've done it w/ previous dogs! So, she saved me quite a bit, didn't charge me for the advice and checked up on him the next day. Literally, it was the dog flu that went around last year. She's been accommodating for sure. Prices have been reasonable. Just this week, I called her up, said I needed heartworm for the 3 pooches and in the mail it came. She also drops things off if she's in the neighborhood. We LOVE Dr. Marty! Am I allowed to give her website on here? If so, let me know and I will. And, the fact that we don't have to trek to the vet is another bonus. They get their shots w/ no issues at home. Before, they were petrified.

Stephanie-- mom to 10

8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

LOVE me some Dr. Marty!!!

9. AnnetteL

Thanks for all the replies! I'd love the contact info for Dr.Marty,I wonder if she would come to the McGee's area as well?

10. Abdulina

http://www.vetmobiletriangle.com/

She's always been responsive. Good luck.

Stephanie-- mom to 10

11. AnnetteL

Thanks Stephanie!! As far as you know will they charge $50 per dog for a housecall?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  12. Abdulina

Ours were seen at the same time so I thought it was just one house call price for all 3 dogs and then whatever costs were incurred for what they needed. Double check though on that one but I thought that's what we do.

Stephanie-- mom to 10

13. AnnetteL

Thanks!

14. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I have 3 babies as well and it's $50 per call not per pet...thank goodness!

15. AnnetteL

Thanks for letting me know!