VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KellBell, Apr 17, 2012.

1. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of VHS tapes of my boys when they were babies and want to get them transferred over to DVD's. Anyone know anyone who does that? or can point me in the right direction....?

THANKS. :mrgreen:

2. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Bulldog Express does it

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I believe Wolf Camera does it. I'm not sure of the pricing, though.

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Or buy a unit and do it yourself.

5. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Buy a dazzle kit from walmart or best buy. Do it yourself.

6. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Was the video originally recorded straight to VHS? I have alot of my son's videos on VHS but I also still have the Hi8 player and tapes. I found a company in Cary (can't remember the name right this minute) and they wanted $30 per tape to put on DVD and wouldn't guarantee the quality. I have about 20 of them! Still exploring my options too.

7. KellBell

I don't want to do it myself. :?

I have the mini-vhs tape that fit in the fossil hand held bulky video cameras that were in place in the mid 90's. :mrgreen:

I'm going to give Bulldog a call. I love those folks up there.

8. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

Would you mind posting or sending me a PM as to how much they will charge? I would like to do some also, and I don't want to do it myself either.

Thx!

9. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I've thought about using this place http://www.imemories.com/howitworks/
    but not sure I want to ship off my tapes! But I do want it done 'right' with editing out stuff that you don't care about etc. so be sure to ask the right questions when you call.

10. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

A couple of years back I researched and bought a VHS-to-DVD machine from Best Buy.

I got some DVDs made but it is very time consuming since the record ratio is 1-to-1, i.e., the machine won't record to DVD any faster than the VHS tape plays as if you are viewing it on a monitor/TV.

And, with A LOT of the VHS-C tapes I had made over the years, that would take a long time.

Another sticking point was that some of the DVDs would never "finalize" or complete the process so I could watch the DVD. Some quirk would happen and all the time I spent recording would be wasted and I'd end up with a coaster.

I took my machine back and got my money back.

Maybe the technology has gotten better.

11. KellBell

I talked to Chuck at Bulldog.

It's $23.95 per DVD. (which holds about 2 1/2 hours worth of video)

Each VHS tape they transfer is $9. (meaning each time they insert a VHS to transfer, they charge you 9 bucks)

They ship it off to a company they have been using for years.

I have 7 VHS tapes to transfer. Should all fit on the 2 1/2 hour DVD. So it's going to cost me about $90. Which I think is worth it.

Thanks for all y'alls input. :grouphug:

12. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Not meaning to Hijack the thread, but talking about transferring from one media to another. I have a whole bunch of 126 and 110 negatives that I want to transfer to multiple cd's or at least one dvd. Wolf camera does not do it. I did find one place up in north Raleigh a few years back that wanted to charge me $1.00 per picture, and that would of run me up in the $400.00 range of transfers (very expensive cd). Hoping to find something a bit less expensive.

P.S. I wouldn't be able to do anything until I get out of school next May and start in my new career.

13. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Rocky, I have an Epson Stylus, Photo RX620 scanner that does a great job scanning negatives - B & W and Color.

It also scans slides.

There are probably other brands available that do it, too.

I found some old B & W and Color negatives at my mama's house and the pics turned out beautifully.

btw, my Epson is a multi-purpose printer, not just for scanning.

14. Rockyv58

Will it do the 110 and 126mm negatives? I have a friend who has an HP scanner that scans the 135mm but it did not work on mine.

15. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

You got me there.

Scanner came with an adapter for holding the negatives and it scans the negative and then you can edit/crop, etc.

16. Rockyv58

If i gave you a couple of the negatives would u be willing to try and see if it would work?

17. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Sorry, big guy, no can do.

Scanner is out of commission.

Tried to use it the other night for daughter's school project and it's clogged up or something.

It's been sitting for some time since I last used it.

Try some of the copy places. I used to go in and use their Macs to scan things.

18. Rockyv58

So maybe someone with a MAC might be able to do it?

19. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

It's not a Mac issue; it's a scanner issue, I believe.

The copy places had Macs and the scanners. I just rented a little time on both.

They may have a scanner that will do the job, but it's been awhile since I needed their services.

20. Rockyv58

Thanks I will look into it.