Want to help out some elderly folks?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Nov 1, 2010.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Just FYI to anyone who is interested...

I am collecting liquid soap, shampoo, lotion and toothpaste to donate to the assisted living community that my mom lives in. Most of these residents are on social security and are only allowed to keep $66 a month out of their income, which they must use to pay for everything (meds, extra food, clothes, tolietries, etc).

Some of them have family that help, but most do not. So, last year I took a ton of lotion, liquid soap, shampoo and toothpaste over, and the staff helps me get it to the residents that need it most.

Any brand will do, they are not picky. If you're like me, you probably have 17 bottles of lotion under your cabinet that you have received as gifts that you didn't like, etc...

I'll gladly meet you somewhere to pick it up. I'll be taking them through Christmas.

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

That is on my list of projects... going to be cleaning out under the bathroom sinks soon... I'll keep you at the top of the list before tossing stuff I don't like that is still good.

3. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

For those of you that travel for work or other activities, if you don't use the soaps, shampoos, conditioners, and other toiletries provided with your hotel room, those are great to donate for the elderly.

4. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Jennifer, I definitely have stuff. We were going to give it to some of the "homeless" up at 4042 until we found out many were not truly homeless. I'd rather the stuff I collected go to help the elderly. Please let me know where I may meet you. I think you live near me but honestly can't remember. Thanks so much for all you do.

Stephanie-- mom to 7

5. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I'm sure I have several tubes of toothpaste and some toothbrushes that I will gladly donate.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I give all mine to the Womans Shelter but I have about a 12" by 12" box full if you want to meet this weekend Jennifer.

7. JenniferK

Stephanie,

I do live near you. When can you meet?

Hugh,

Yes, I can meet you this weekend. PM me and let me know what works for you.

Michelle,

Would it be easier if I came to your work and got it?

8. cece

cece Well-Known Member

Are there any other specific needs that you are aware of?

I can help out with the shampoo and what not. At work they know I collect items for homeless bags so my co-workers have been clearing out there supplies and giving to me, there is plenty to share.

I am also in the 40/42 area - maybe we could meet at Chops over the weekend if that works for you?

9. JenniferK

No, not really. I mean, there are other needs, but this is something broad, that they can all use. Sugar free candy is also a great donation!

I'd be glad to meet you up at Chop's this weekend, just let me know when.

10. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Pick a time this weekend & I too could meet at Chops w/ some items. Gives me a few days to clean out and see what we have that maybe they could use. Thanks for organizing it.

Stephanie--mom to 7

11. cece

cece Well-Known Member

I believe my schedule is fairly open late morning on Saturday.... Sounds like we may have a central meeting spot... What time works for y'all?

12. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i've got some stuff too i'll get to you - also do they use bar soap too?

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I've got a bag full of stuff, can I just leave it at your house? I kinda of remember where you live, can you PM me your address?

14. JenniferK

KC- No, not so much because it's harder for them to hold onto in the shower.

Tassy- Just PM'd you, yes and thank you!

15. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Bump, for those of you who are supposed to meet JK today. :hurray:

16. Terrie

Terrie Member

Resource

I have started a website as a resource for caregivers. I would be happy to place something like this on the site if you would like to discuss it.

The site is just getting started so please take a look and let me know your thoughts. If you have suggestions of resources I can add to help the elderly and those that care for them, I'm open to exploring.

helpiamacaregiver.com

Thanks - Terrie

17. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Jenn, when do you need the stuff? I can drop it off at your work one day this week during lunch.

18. JenniferK

Terrie, that would be wonderful! Thank you!

Michelle, before Christmas, so whenever is good for you!

19. happy128

happy128 Active Member

Jennifer,
    I will have some things for you- for this and Christmas Angels. If I could drop it all off at the same time, it would be great! Maybe at the CVS again ; ) I will make sure PMs are working this time so we don't almost miss each other. Thanks so much for all you do. You are a wonderful role model for your girls.

Edna

20. Terrie

Terrie Member

Jennifer - PM me and we'll find a time to discuss. I'm traveling over the next 3 weeks, so email may be best. I'll also have some products to give you when I get back. So, we'll find a time to meet up.

Terrie