Water Heater gone - recommendations for repair?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MizSeeker, Jan 12, 2015.

1. MizSeeker

MizSeeker Well-Known Member

I lost hot water - checked garage - thought it might just be burned out element cause no water. Checked a hour ago - water everywhere - need to get replaced but limited budget. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!! TYTYTYTYTY

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken, I have seen water heaters at Habitat for Humanity once in a while. Of course, the ones they have may not last that long either, but as a band-aid it is worth a shot I suppose.

3. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Just make certain it wasn't your expansion tank that blew a leak. Had one go a couple years ago. Much cheaper repair than heater itself.

4. MizSeeker

Don't think this one has an expansion tank. My old house did but dont see it here.

ON a related note - can wet books and magazines go in recycling or do they need to go in trash?

sigh ...

5. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

The pressure valve on the tank did not fail did it? Not too likely, but not impossible. Can you tell if the water is coming from the bottom of the tank?

Wet paper is only heavier and should still be able to be recycled.

6. MizSeeker

Tank is under stairs and in dark corner. Can't tell where the water was coming from. I've turned off intake and have neighbor coming over to look at it later.

Found out that when we get heavy rain the side of the house where the breaker box is is wayyyyy deep water - over ankles. Never know what you might learn ...

thank you for responses!