water pump

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Any one ever have to have a water pump replaced? Bout how much did it cost for the whole repair?

My water pump on my mazda died last week and had to have it towed in to my mechanic.

2. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I have replaced the pump on one of my older Triumph Spitfires, but I wouldn't even attempt it on any newer, more complicated car.
    Your mechanic should have a book that tells him how much time it will take and thus how much labor to charge, plus the cost of the pump. He should be able to give you a pretty good idea of what it's going to cost.

3. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

you should get out for under a couple hundred bucks plus the tow. you'll likely buy a remanufactured water pump instead of a new one, which will keep the cost more reasonable.

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I told my mechanic if he had to replace it to get rebuilt\remanufactured or one out of a junk yard car. Being unemployed money is extremely tight.

If anything I will take over the exit ramp at 312 from the other guy......Just kidding :)

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

That's what our mechanic did last year and for some reason I just received a $100.00 check from my insurance company that stated for water pump. I didn't ask, just deposited it. Thanks State Farm!

Sherry

6. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Dude!!!!!????????????????? One of ???????????????
    I learned after my first (AND LAST) Spitfire 1500. It wasn't until I owned one that I found out why the Brits drink their beer warm...because Lucas makes refrigerators, too.

You have my deepest sympathy.8)

7. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I've had 3, still have a '77 with only 93k miles on it. All of mine were fun, good little cars. Sorry 'bout yours! :neutral:

8. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

Loved the little spitfire, no reverse, but it was light enought to push if needed, never used the doors either haha.:jester: