We need an orthodontist...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Air Hogs Scuba, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Title says it all. I have a 14 year old daughter who needs braces. Any suggestions?

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

You will probably receive tons of suggestions, but we are personally using Dr. Vinson in Clayton. My son got them a few months ago, the office is very professional, very up to date on treatments and I have been THRILLED with them. His braces are some new system where he only has to go every 8-12 weeks instead of every month which is fantastic for school and work reasons. Their patient communication is very high tech too. And the pricing was great as well.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I just had 2 15 year olds in braces. we used Dr. Devlin in Clayton. Outstanding service and the boys loved Dr. Devlin too. They now have thee most beautiful smiles ever.

http://www.devlinorthodontics.com/

4. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Dr. Vinson is great! I have one son just out of braces and one son with a year left to go, we hope. My youngest had to have two teeth brought in surgically (with gold chains attached to brackets on the teeth up in the gums) and they were great about helping with referrals and follow up. They are very good with payment options too. Highly recommend their practice. Good luck!

http://www.vinsonorthodontics.com/

They have an ad on 4042 in the business directory.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011
  5. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

This is who we use as well, very happy with them and my son really likes Dr. Devlin

6. Thanks for the info so far!!!

7. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

http://www.wakeorthopedo.com/ortho.htm

Here's one more to add to the list! This place is behind White Oak in Garner. I recommend Dr. Randy Macon. He spend a lot of time with my daughter and answered all her questions (until I cut her off. lol. She's a talker.)

8. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

9. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I had the same question abour two years ago so I did some reserach.

I made "free consulatation" appointments with Dr. Vinson, Dr. Macon, Dr. Devlin and Dr. Kyrn.
    Dr. Macon--very nice, nice office and staff. My son was not ready for braces at that time, the wanted him to be rechecked again at 6 months--not a free recheck--to see if he would be ready then. They did take some x-rays and the Dr. did a pretty throrough examination. I was told the cost could not be determined until he had the braces on but I was looking at 6-7 thousand.

Dr. Devlin--the office was empty which I thought was strange. The staff was OK. He looked at my son's mouth briefly then he wanted me to pay for some xrays to see what he would need. I told him if I needed xrays, I would rather have my dentist do them because it would work better with my insurance. They did not seem to like that idea.

Dr. Vinson--Great office and very friendly staff. They were very welcoming (disclosure-this is who my dentist reccommended and I was a little worried they just referred to him for a kickback).They asked about my insurance right off the bat which was a little offputting since I was not sure I would use them. I did not give it to them. They did a very comprehensive exam with full x-rays and pictures at no charge. They said my son did not need braces at the time and to come back at 6 months at no charge( he needed to lose several more baby teeth). They gave me a full price at the first evaluation that would not change as I waited for my so to get ready. The price was 5,350--not that it would be the same for your kid. My son had a large overbite and will be in braces for 2 1/2 to 3 years. Dr. VInson had lots of new technology and fun stuff for the kids.

Dr. Kyrn--I really liked him but he did not have the same "fun atmosphere" in the office. He did not do any xrays and just looked at my son's mouth with a dental mirror. He also said I needed to wait and his price was $5200.

In the end we chose Dr. Vinson, I decided that it was worth the extra $150 for the security of a known orthodontist in the area along with the technology and price guarantee.

My son has had his braces for a little more that a year and things are going great. The office had been very helpful through an insurance change and later a job loss with no insurance. We have no trouble getting appointments around school schedules--and it is nice not to have to go every month. We have MARA technology so we do not have to wear headgear and I can really already see an improvement. I also like that Dr. Vinson puts a lot back into his practice. He has monthly giveaways for parents and patients, he offers a scholarship to his patients and he has fun patient appreation parties. At first I was not sure about all of the giveaways because I did not want to be essentially paying for them in the price, but did not seem to be inflated to cover the extras. He really seems to love the kids and invests his profits back into the practice.

I know this is long, but I would have loved to have some comparison when I was looking. Feel free to PM me with any other questions
    Sorry for typos--I don't have time to proofread--I must get to carpool!

10. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

Dr Macon was my ortho (I was 42 when I got my braces, 4 years ago). Loved him! There are 3 orthos in that office. I saw the lady one time when Dr Macon was out of town. She seemed nice enough. :)

11. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

When are you guys going to open shop?

12. Thanks for all the advice here, it really helps!

Hey Grinder,
    We were shooting for this past weekend, however... We are waiting for all the product and the credit card equipment, then we are set! In short, within the next few days.

P.S. the phone # will be (919) 553-HOGS! It will be working sometime Wed.

13. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

And where exactly? I might have driven by it but not realized it.

14. In the strip mall behind SCNB at 40/42. Where the bakery/coffee shop used to be. We are all the way at the end beside State Farm Ins. They will hopefully get the sign up this week!

15. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  16. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Dr. Vinson in Clayton. A+++++

17. MWB

MWB Member

Ortho

I'm a little late to respond --

but I am a dental hygienist in the area and currently started ortho treatment (for the 2nd time in my life). We refer to many orthodontists in the area, but I am using Dr. McNutt myself and is who I personally recommend. He does free consults which include the length and cost of treatment, as well as necessary x-rays.

He's relatively new to the area: http://www.thetoothmover.com/