west JoCo must read

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cynadon, Jan 18, 2017.

1. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

poppin cork likes this.
  2. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

poppin cork and cynadon like this.
  3. cynadon

I have never seen resolution like that on a google map!

poppin cork and Webmaster like this.
  4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

poppin cork, cynadon and Webmaster like this.
  5. New2JoCo

New2JoCo Member

6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Wonderful tip, btw.

cynadon likes this.
  7. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Id not seen an interchange list for 540. Surprised there will not be one at Sauls Rd. Garner Fire is gonna hate that if they have to respond to any accidents, as practically all of 540 is in Wake Co. Only their new station 4 has good access to it.

From my understanding all the new 540 as well as any future widening (N Raleigh area) will be tolled. Blame both the feds and the state.

8. Pwoods

Pwoods Well-Known Member

Bringing attention back to the main post and article that considers this a 'must read'. It is. And not just because of the NCDOT road projects, when they start, how obsolete they will be when they are finished, etc., but because this goes both ways. Roads needs to be constructed to keep up with demand/use. If that demand/use is greater than how quickly the roads can be built, then the other part of this equation becomes the pace and the quality of growth that is causing the problem. If you feel that the schools are overcrowded and traffic is nuts, then write to your county commissioners and tell them here: http://www.johnstonnc.com/mainpage.cfm?category_level_id=403&content_id=1837

Personally, I think growth is good and inevitable. But it has to be sustainable. When so many people live in JoCo and work in Raleigh and there are only so many ways to get from here to there, then you have unbearable traffic which ultimately hits you in the wallet. And are those people spending money in Wake all day that does not come back to JoCo? How can JoCo continue to justify adding new subdivisions at a rate that outpaces a school's ability to accommodate the children? I have lived here for close to 20 years (so I suppose I am part of the problem), but I think we have hit critical mass in terms of growth even if only for a short while until roads and schools can get caught up.

Just spit-balling here:

-Can the County issue a moratorium on new subdivisions? If so, would there be size limitations or special considerations?
    -The County doesn't build roads, but could they find some money for some extra turn lanes here and there to help minimize the impact of so much traffic?
    -This traffic has to impact school bus schedules in the area. Any folks out there experience this?

9. WadeCorbett

WadeCorbett Well-Known Member

The County has already responded to this issue by disallowing PUD's.

10. cynadon

I didn't know that. So self sufficient communities are bad?

11. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

What is a PUD?

12. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Peptic ulcer disease.

13. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Quoting REDFIN; "A Planned Unit Development (PUD) is a community of homes that could look like single family residences, townhomes or condos, and can include both residential and commercial units, but on paper, they’re most similar to condos. When you’re shopping for homes and see the type of ownership listed as “condominium,” even though the home looks like a typical house or townhome, then it’s most likely a PUD.

A PUD includes ownership of a “lot,” with common areas either owned by a homeowner’s association (HOA) or collectively by all invested parties. If you buy a home within a planned unit development, you’ll have to pay homeowner’s association dues. PUDs often have amenities beyond the scope of most condos, like private tennis courts and outdoor playgrounds that are maintained by HOA fees and only open to homeowners. The monthly dues can be very high in some communities, so it’s important to include them in your monthly budget when deciding whether or not to buy a PUD."

14. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

So if I read that right, you can have a subdivision, just no commercial in it (which I dont think is bad, that would be a good thing to have mixed in) and no tennis courts or swimming pool/club? Dont see how thats going to help at all.

jesse82nc likes this.
  15. jesse82nc

Sounds like they would rather have builders just build random houses all over the place rather than build a planned community. In a planned community they take care in designing it so that roads make sense and there are typically multiple entrances/exits to the neighborhood. I guess they feel that building 1000 random homes on small subdivided lots is better than building 3-4 large communities of 200-300 homes on large tracts of land.

certdude and Auxie like this.
  16. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Build the road. Start tomorrow. Award 3 design build contracts. Roll on.

While they are at it. make 40 3 lanes from NC 210 to beltline
    Build that local road from Lowes/Wal Mart over to West View. That would get a bunch of traffic off 42 between 40 & 1010.

Auxie likes this.
  17. jesse82nc

Added grade separations and road closures I came across in a DOT report on the road.

18. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

IIRC the development ordinance had several components such as 2 acre min. lot size, traffic impact analysis as well as limiting high density PUDs. The aim was to reduce density and (planned or otherwise) raise property values.
    Sure the county could do more however our interests and theirs may not always align. The only way we can get what we want is to incorporate and do it ourselves. Listen when they talk about Archer Lodge.

19. WadeCorbett

WadeCorbett Well-Known Member

Planned Unit Development

20. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

Start it tonight!