What do you think about....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bostonredhead, Jan 21, 2013.

1. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

2. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

It's either a lawsuit waiting to happen or scammers waiting to pounce

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Wow! Too much information.

Sherry

4. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Crazy that they list the DL number on these reports. Is this public info?

5. 42Local

42Local Well-Known Member

Isn't it all public records anyway? That's how you end up with dozens of lawyer solicitations in the mail after you get a ticket. This just makes it easier to access, but I doubt there's anything wrong with posting the information.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Agreed. It's public record, they publish almost that much in the paper every week. I would think that the powers that be at the Clayton PD probably know whether it's legal or not and have acted accordingly.

Do I personally think it's wise? Probably not.

7. Sherry A.

I didn't notice the DL number but if it is out then I don't think that should be considered public information.

Sherry

8. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

Here is some interesting info... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver's_Privacy_Protection_Act

I don't mind them listing a synopsis of the police report in the paper but giving people access to such detailed info in this day and age seems like an invite for identity theft. I wonder if the federal law above would apply here or is it the idea that if you break the law you lose all rights to that protection.

9. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

I believe it's all about public records being accessible to anyone who wants to see them. I don't believe it has anything to do with 'breaking the law', since an arrest does not, or should not, assume someone is guilty.

This smacks of the same flavor of the liberal paper 'The Journal News' releasing the addresses of all the gun owners in NY state. It merely makes it much easier to access the information.

10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

And it says they will be available online for 2 weeks, after that you have to go to the station to request a copy. So this "public" information isn't out there forever and day, just long enough for the "ambulance chaser lawyers" to get your info and spam you with offers for legal representation, without having to leave the confines of their cubicles.

11. Sherry A.

Two weeks is too long, in my opinion. Too much information for the public and it can be downloaded. Birth dates, drivers license number, address.....just too much.

Maybe it is public information but this is way too easy to access.

Sherry