What schools would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jcmdl412, Aug 28, 2014.

1. jcmdl412

jcmdl412 Member

Hello all! My family is looking to move to the Clayton area next spring, and schools are probably the most important thing in determining where we want to buy a house. We have three boys- 6th, 4th, and preschool.

I have heard/read online about some good schools in Johnston Co, but I really would like your expert advice as actual residents of the area. If you could pick what schools you'd want your children in, which ones would you choose? We are looking for a good education, of course, but also a friendly atmosphere as my boys are very afraid of being the "new kid" and having trouble making friends.

Thank you!

2. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

I am partial to the Riverwood area. My son started K at Riverwood Elementary, onto Riverwood Middle and is now a sophomore at Corinth Holders High School. CHHS might be the biggest school in the county, but it does not feel "impersonal". Yes, we've had a few hiccups here and there over the years, but overall, I have only good things to say about those schools

3. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

Cleveland

We have been very happy with Cleveland Elementary and Cleveland HS. Cleveland MS was ok. West Johnston seemed to be too big and not as disciplined as Cleveland HS.

4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

5. mandmdad

mandmdad Well-Known Member

Would 2nd Cleveland Schools being good. Powhatan is really good as well for ES.

6. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

We LOVE West View and WJHS. We also loved the teachers and most of the staff at Cleveland Middle. My Mom always said if you can't say something nice, it's better to say nothing at all ... so I will refrain from saying anything about the top two male administrators at Cleveland Middle. (I have no large issues with the female assistant principal at CMS). I will say that my youngest will probably be attending Neuse or one of the local private schools during her middle school years if nothing has changed since my son left CMS a few years back.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  7. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I believe Corinth Holders HS was on the news recently due to having students sitting on the floors for lack of desks. Poor planning, in my opinion.

Sherry

8. molly2008

Yes, they are having some growing pains. Same as the rest of one of the fastest growing counties in the state. The fact remains, the principal is the best I have ever run across and my son is extremely happy there. Do you know WHY people want to move to JoCo? Because of our excellent schools vs cost of living.

9. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I have a 3rd and 4th grader at Cleveland Elementary. Love them, no bad experiences at all.

10. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

You should run for office so you can fix that..... Oh wait.... You already tried that.

Why don't you tell us how all the urban schools in Durham are doing since that is where you are living. They welcome your opinions.

11. Melynda

Cleveland Elementary is the reason we even purchased a home in the area we did around 12 years ago. I was crushed when I first learned we were going to be rezoned to West View when it was 1st built. Fortunately, because West View is made up of some many of the wonderful staff who originally started at Cleveland Elementary, its been a WONDERFUL place for my kids. Both West View Elementary school and Cleveland Elementary are great places for kids to grow and learn!! There are truly some AMAZING teachers at both of these schools!!!!

12. Melynda

I heard rumors about West Johnston being too big and not as disciplined. I think this was very true back before Cleveland High was built. West was definitely overcrowded at that time. For the 1st couple of years after Cleveland was built, they didn't have the amount of Jr.'s and Sr.'s that West did. Now that the schools can be compared apples to apples ... I think they are very similar. The staff and students at both schools are Wonderful. I was originally very upset that the majority of kids who attended Cleveland Middle went to Cleveland High (I think around 85%), while the others, like my kids, were slated to go to West. We actually considered buying property somewhere else, just so our child could go to Cleveland High. I have been VERY Pleasantly surprised by West Johnston. My child mentioned just the other day, how happy he was that he ended up getting to go to West. West Johnston & Cleveland High kids pretty much grew up together on the GCAA & Pop Warner ball fields. I think the mix of kids, staff and parental support are probably much the same at both of these Wonderful Schools :) If a parent was trying to decide between the two schools they may have to look into how the schools are doing with things like the Band, Sports Programs, Arts Programs, ROTC ... and such, to choose which of these great schools was the best fit for their child.

13. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

One was ranked #23 in the nation .....

http://www.newsweek.com/2013/05/06/america-s-best-high-schools.html

23 North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics Durham NC M, S

14. Sherry A.

I believe Wayne schooled ya'. lol

Sherry

15. Sherry A.

Still the planning was bad if kids sat on the floor. My kid attended school in Johnston County and we are glad. Even then the schools had problems and I was not not blind to them.

Loved East Clayton Elementary, Riverwood Middle and Clayton High. Problems with each, but wouldn't trade her education in for any other places.

Sherry

16. molly2008

I have nothing else to say regarding your post that would be relevant to what the OP asked.

OP, you will find a lot of good schools in JoCo., good luck with your search.

17. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

18. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Someone else caught that as well! What do you expect from those two?

19. Wayne Stollings

You mean pick ANOTHER urban school in Durham? The criteria was simply "urban school" in "Durham" that now has had the criteria modified by the doubling of requirements.

20. Wayne Stollings

You mean giving you what you asked for? Specifically "urban schools in Durham" which would include the school in downtown Durham as one of the most urban in the city.