What were they thinking!

Discussion in 'Jobs Network' started by Rockyv58, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I could just scream. I applied for a job out on craigslist. It turns out it was put there by Robert Half in Raleigh. The job pays 10.75 an hour. I made 2.50 an hour more that that 16 years ago when I first got into computers. What the he11 are those people thinking!!!!!!

I make more that that sitting on my bum at home on unemployment.

I think I will scream AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

2. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

you know hell isn't filtered, right?

3. Rockyv58

I used the number 1 instead of the letter l. Hm I would of thought it would of been filtered.

4. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

Yeah, i think it gets trough to allow religious discussion about hell. Same as damn, i'd expect.

5. Rockyv58

Rather safe then sorry. At least I know for the next time Thanks.

6. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

This is why most people - not you because you are obviously looking - do not even bother to look for work. what is out there pays so little, that people make more staying home.

7. Rockyv58

At one point I made more than double what Robert Half was offering. I understand adjustments in pay to rescale the economy but less then half what I was earning is ridiculous. The job was out in Durham. What they were offering wouldn't even pay the gas and maintenance on my vehicle to drive from here to their.

I did enjoy having some time off to catch up on things around the house, but now I have bills to pay and an hvac unit i have to try to buy. Its time to get back to work and earn a decent living wage.

8. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

All last year when my husband was looking on craigslist for work there were so many ads replying to ads such as the one you mentioned,in which people where complaining about the wages offered for skilled workers. I think it's ridiculous and I sincerely hope that whenever they actually do hire someone for the position they get what they pay for. It seems like it hasn't changed one bit since then,too many employers taking advantage of a bad situation.

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I think for at least the next couple of years we have to face reality, there are folks in India/China/You Name it, that will do these jobs for a lot less than we get paid, and other than language issues a lot of them are as competent (possibly more) than their American counterparts.

Like the housing market the wage bubble has been popped for a lot of us.

Personally I have taken on more work (10 to 20% a week) and got a pay cut of 20% which I don't honestly expect to fully get back for at least a couple of years. Fortunately, for me, I am the outsource for many organizations and I don't think a foreign national can replace me (at least I hope not).

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i agree about the employers taking advantage (not me personally), they blame the economy and increase all costs to employees, cut time, etc., while all the while they are personally sitting in the lap of luxury and flaunting it. Whatever happened to the days where the business owner actually thanked and appreciated the people that got them to that point:twisted: Greediness has definitely taken over our nation and it is sad.

11. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

:iagree:

12. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

:iagree: also

13. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

FYI RObert Half and Assoc are working with a 50% profit margin. Not the conventional 30% profit margin most IT staffing companies do. I was offered 40K by RH&A for a job in Fairfax VA. It was a network, infrastructure management, policy...etc. Job easilt should have paid 80K to 90K. and I came to the table with over 17yrs experience. Stay away from those people. They take advantage of the unemployed.

14. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Hey nobody is talking about you, we know you do take care of your folks but i hear it everyday more and more about companies going with temps instead of hiring real employees to avoid having to pay benefits, etc. i grew up the daughter of a self employeed business man and i watched how he took care of all his employees on a regular basis, even as a kid most of them knew me and looked out for me and that is how i was raised businesses should run instead of the owner or owners turning the employees into slaves while they enjoy the fruit of the slave's labor, it is truly sad because people are so afraid of not finding another job they are being taken advantage of:cry: