What's going on in our area as far as live music?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DWright, Feb 20, 2012.

1. DWright

DWright Guest

1. Where do people play live music around 40/42?
    2. What groups or people have you seen?
    3. Did you like it?
    4. What kind of music would you like to hear?

2. DWright

DWright Guest

Wow. 50 people have looked at this but no one has posted. I'll go first...
    I've seen groups loading in at the Terrafin restaurant but have not been out to see them play.
    I've been out running on Sat afternoon and heard a blues band playing next door on the back patio next to Terrafin. They sounded good... it was blues and rock but I didn't catch their name.
    I've heard that there is a coffee shop over in Clayton that has live bands.

I like lots of different music. My iphone is loaded with Chuck Berry, Count Basie, Dizzy Gillespie, Flat and Scruggs, Both Johns-- Elton and Dr., Fats Domino, Sinatra, Hank Williams Sr., I don't have any Jr., but I actually like some of his songs, I love Howlin'Wolf, Johnny Cash, Kaye Starr and Tennesee Ernie when they are together--check out "I'll Never be Free" great guitarist on there playing some impossible stuff, There's a Keisha Song- hot and dangerous - pretty fun for my kids to see a 42 year old man sing a long with Keisha. There's Kid Ory, Louis Armstrong, Love---Louis Prima and Louis Jordan, Skynard's FreeBird is on there cause I am a free bird--its a overplayed song on radio but the reason-- it builds up and it rocks! , New Birth Brass Band, Perry Como's- Papa Loves Mambo, Ralph Stanley--I love bluegrass gospel, Rolling Stones, Sidney Bichet, Steve Miller Band, Teddy Wilson, Beatles. :cheers:

3. Granky

Granky Well-Known Member

Hi DWright... first time I've seen this, but I haven't really been a member for long.

Your choices sound fun and you seem like a fun dad!

Answers to your 4 questions:

1... no idea
    2... none
    3... n/a
    4... classical would be nice for a change! True Jazz would be great, too. I'd love be able to go hear a small chamber group or a small jazz group play in JC.

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

5. SunShine26

SunShine26 Well-Known Member

My husband plays Jazz music. Mostly in Wake County though. He's also playing at the World Beer Festival again this year.

6. DWright

DWright Guest

thanks for responding. I guess part of the reason I posted is because I have a group that plays traditional jazz but living out here I'm not sure if there is any venue that would have that kind of music. We normally play in Raleigh. I would really love to share our music out here. Does the Terraffin have live music? I know they used to.

7. DWright

DWright Guest

Obviously I have too much time on my hands today...but the internet is powerful...
    but um.... I'm gonna guess for fun. Your husband is....
    now I don't know, hmmmmmm
    Paul Bomar the guitarist?

8. SunShine26

Haha..Yep. That would be him. Lots of people seem to know who I am without actually "knowing" me.

9. DWright

DWright Guest

I don't think I've met Paul yet but we know a lot of the same people.

10. DWright

DWright Guest

Small world it is. I know FO Finch. I believe he has played music with FO.

Has Paul tried to do any jazz playing in the Clayton/42 area? I wonder if there are enough people who would enjoy traditional jazz, swing music or even New Orleans street beat type music in this area.

11. SunShine26

Yes, he has played music with FO.

I think he's looked into places in the area, but not exactly sure where. Paul and his guys usually draw a nice crowd. TBH, there are more people into jazz music than you realize! :)

12. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Not biased AT ALL...but I kinda think Stone Creek is a great, local band! :)

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

You should talk to Angie down at the Flipside, I think a jazz style band could do well there on occasion.

14. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

CRAIG!!! How could you forget Tavern In The Grove??? 8)
    (the small building and patio area beside TerraFin Station.)

We are planning to do a lot more when the weather breaks. Probably Friday nights and Sunday afternoons.

And FYI - I also have talked to Joel about doing a show or 2 at The Tavern. Even as small as we are, what he does fits quite well.
    For those who don't know Joel, or what he does, he is a PREMIER magician who does close-up magic.
    I always tell folks, "He can't make a 747 disappear, but from 2 feet away, he will BLOW YOUR MIND!!!

Joel, IMHO is WORLD CLASS!!! If you get a chance to catch his act, either at The Flipside or The Tavern, DO IT!!!

15. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I think a jazz band on a sunday afternoon would be nice out on your terrace!!

16. CraigSPL

Didn't forget it Grey, just didn't have a link other than the Facebook page for the Tavern. As for your band line-up I know the weather would have to break before you really started opening up the tiki bar area.

17. DWright

DWright Guest

Thanks!

Just want to say thanks to everyone taking time to post and share information.

I've enjoyed looking into the websites and band info.

!!

18. CraigSPL

19. DWright

DWright Guest

Thanks for the info!

20. DWright

DWright Guest

They sound great. I bet they are working a lot! I like their "superstition" and "she's country"

Tough sound.