When did you get your 1st cell phone?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by markfnc, Aug 10, 2007.

1. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  2. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I got mine in like 97 or 98. It was a huge flip phone from Alltel!

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I still have my HUMONGOUS first Nextel, that I got when Nextel was first getting started, 1994, I believe. Still Have Nextel Service, but not the GINORMOUS phone....:mrgreen:

I had a bag phone for a brief period beofre that....but don't recall where it came from or how it went away...

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

DH had one of the Motorala bag phones probably in 94 or so for work, I think I got my first handheld shortly thereafter, it was something fairly goodsized from what I think was 360 Communications. I got it for safety's sake as my vehicle had over 150,000 miles, but I loved that old Bronco and wouldn't give it up!

5. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I think I got a bag phone from Sears with CellularOne service back in 1992, and then stepped up to having one of the first Motorola flips in late 1993. Thats been a while... not bad.. I've had 5 cell phones in 15 years..

6. Sprocket

Sprocket Well-Known Member

I have very fond memories of my 1990 Alltel bag phone. It's chunk black handset and very sexy vinyl bag. I think it only weighed 5 pounds with the battery attached.

-Sprocket

7. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

Same here!! Around 1990 and it was the alltel bag phone!!

8. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

I didnt get one til at least 99 I never had the bag or the huge phone. I couldnt arfford it then...

My dad had one..They look funny,.... Flashback..:lol:

9. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

check this out:

In 1973, Motorola showed off a prototype of the world's first portable cellular telephone. That phone, which measured more than a foot long, weighed almost 2 pounds, and cost $3995, ultimately became commercial available in 1983.

[​IMG]

10. Sprocket

Sprocket Well-Known Member

You have excellent taste in bag phones ;-) Did you ever have one of the gray phones with the amber display and the short rubber antenna?

-Sprocket

11. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i'm with you, i got my first one in 1998 and it was because i moved out of state from my family and it had those dang roaming charges that cost totally outrageous, Before that we all (myself and my 2 teenage boys) had pagers with our own little signals to each other. Anyone else remember the age of pagers?

12. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

2002? it was a nokia 5190 on alltel i think. looks right anyway.

[​IMG]
    then:
    [​IMG] in 2004
    then:
    [​IMG] in 2006
    and finally
    [​IMG] now =D

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  13. blusdrmr

blusdrmr Well-Known Member

Centel.....Long before they were Sprint, then 360 and finally Alltel.

My first one was the Motorola DPC650[​IMG] back in 1993 or somewhere around then with, then, 360 Communications.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  14. blusdrmr

I used to keep one of those under my desk when I got my first cell phone sales job back in 1997 (with GTE). People used to complain that the phones were getting too small and the most popular phone was the Nokia 918 [​IMG] at the time. What I would do is bring that brick phone up and sit it on the desk and ask them if they wanted that one instead. I would then pick it up by the antennae and tell them theycold use it for self defense if the call did not go through. Always got a good laugh.

15. blusdrmr

If it was with Alltel it was the 5180. The 5160 was with Bellsouth or any GSM carrier at the time. The 5190 was also a GSM phone in some markets.

16. blusdrmr

Yup...used to sell them.

17. ws

ws Well-Known Member

mid 90's, it was with bellsouth mobility dcs, dont know what happened to the phone, prolly ended up as a shotgun target

18. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

Never. I still don't have one.

19. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I still have an active bag phone that I still use on occasion. Of course, its an analog phone and will probably be obsolete within a year or so with the FCC regulations. However, you can't beat them for range. With a full 2 watts of power and a high gain external antenna...you don't usually have to worry about drop calls with it.

I have never really trusted the new digital age of phones. They offer you all the nifty gizmos and gadgets, all the while making your phone easier to track by GPS. Its good if you're ever abducted or incapacitated, but very bad with the creeping of Big Brother upon you. Plus with speaker phones, its a known fact, that the microphone on your digital phone can be activated without your consent by the powers that be.

I'm a bit paranoid, but I still have given in to the temptations to trade in older phones for newer technology. I think, however, that our love for technology will come back to haunt us one day.