Where can I report personal property tax evaders?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DontCareHowYouDoItInNY, Apr 13, 2011.

1. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

There is a house in my neighborhood with at least two vehicles in the household. Apparently they have a local business because one of the vehicles is a truck that has the business name and local Clayton phone number on the doors and back window.
    These people have lived in that house for at least 5 years, maybe more. Here's my problem - both vehicles still have the plates from the state from which they moved.

First off, I usually believe in minding my own business on this type of thing, I've even been ridiculed here for telling others they should stay out of others business. But in this age of state cuts this is just plain wrong. They use our roads and live in our school districts, they should transfer their tags and pay personal property tax just like the rest of us. I think the law gives you 30 days to do this.
    With all of the transplants around here I'll bet there are many many more just like this. I don't like to be a tattle tale, but they need to pay the same taxes as the rest of us. Does anyone know where I can report them so that they can be notified or ticketed?

Don't make this political, I don't like paying the tax either, but it's the law.

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

The tax dept or DMV or joco sheriff's dept?

I don't know but I understand your point.

3. Buc

Buc Well-Known Member

Somebody has too much time on their hands! I would suggest minding your own business!

4. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Let me guess.....South Carolina plates?

5. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

It looks like we have another one....

6. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

No, I dont know if I should say since everyone gets in an uproar if we put too much info in the post.

7. annatinnie

annatinnie Well-Known Member

Neighbors should look out for neighbors and if my neighbors were evading and taking down my neighborhoods "ethics" I would report them to the IRS!! Call the court house tax collectors division and they will get the ball rolling and out of YOUR hands and teach them a lesson!

And you are NOT a bad neighbor...you are the OPPOSITE. Just my two cents!

We all pay taxes here, and we all should get to USE the taxes that we are supposed to pay...if they are living here and using the schools, roads, buildings, LIBRARIES, etc....they are STEALING from YOU and EVERYONE else!

8. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Three years running there was the SAME car in the WCES car line dropping off and picking up their kid with New York tags. Get off your *** and pay your taxes!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  9. nsanemom22

10. nsanemom22

I'm leaving before I get banned.

11. Buc

Buc Well-Known Member

Sorry, but you're wrong on that one. I was raised in Johnston and Harnett counties.

It just bothers me when people spend too much time worrying about petty things. I'm sure you have never fudged your income taxes, drove over the speed limit, or just rolled through a stop sign.

If you honestly think that the state's budget problems stem from that guy not having NC tags on his vehicle, I would have to respectfully disagree.

12. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I was thinking the same thing on Monday driving home when the older model suburban in front of me had no brake lights at all and I almost hit him in the rear. I could not see around the thing to see a Prius in front of him had stopped and since he had no brake lights, I had no visual cue that he was coming to a complete stop (quickly).

He not only doesn't pay taxes on it here, he also skirts the state inspection process which would alert him to his situation. Ticks me off too. He was running Texas plates. Doubt he just drove over for a visit to NC. :evil:

Not to mention insurance...if the tags are out of state (and likely out of date), then he probably doesn't have insurance either. So we get to pay unisured/underinsured.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
  13. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Be careful because there are certain circumstances that would allow a person to keep out of state license plates; for example, a military family whose "home" is another state does not have to change license plates. Also, what if they have dual residency--I'm not sure what the law states regarding that type of a situation.

14. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

I don't think that is the case here, but my I'm not just picking on this family, I'd like to see it enforced across the board.

15. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

The law says you have 30 days to change your address on your license. It also says you have 60 days to change your tags if you are in a permanent move.

16. annatinnie

annatinnie Well-Known Member

I say do what your heart tells you.

17. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

report them. dont pay attention to buc

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

How is that much different than illegal aliens? Seriously. They live here, use the resources and don't pay their fair share.

19. scbuff

scbuff Well-Known Member

Might not seem like it would add up, but I am willing to bet if we wound up all the out of state tax evaders, it would be enough money to save some teachers job somewhere. And to me, that is very important. Just my .02

20. Buc

Buc Well-Known Member

Well, if he's a licensed business, he pays taxes on the business. Not to mention he pays income tax.

Illegals just send the monies they make back to the home country where we as US citizens get absolutely no benefit.

So I would say that is quite a difference.