Where Do We Live? Name it

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cougar6, May 9, 2006.

?

Should the Cleveland; 40/42 geographic community area have an official name?

1. yes

99.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Who cares? I like being confused.

1.0%
  1. cougar6

cougar6 Guest

OK. I know it's been a couple of years (I think), but I'm having issues with still not knowing where I live. Can the community pull together to come up with a name for 40/42 area; Cleveland area; the between Clayton, Garner, and Smithfield area; or wherever it is we live? Any suggestions?

2. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

How about Forty-Forty-Two, NC. Betcha no other community has that name! :wink: :lol:

BTW, I voted "yes" because I think that eventually, with all the projected growth, this area is going to have to have a "real" name.

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of having a "name" other than something numeric that tells people where we live. But, then again, I also dream of a real US Post Office here so I can mail things and receive things without having to drive into Clayton or Garner.

Whatever name we can choose, I know that there are naysayers who will (1) just not like having ANY name here, or (b) waiting until most of us have done the scut work, and then raising their objectios, when their energy could have been so warmly utilized as a part of the process, not the objection to it.

Any chance we could get some corporate sponsor ala NASCAR or NFL stadia and give exclusive name rights for a significant contribution to the local schools?

4. cougar6

cougar6 Guest

5. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Went through this a few years ago when part of the Chamber, while everyone says they want a name, etc., when it comes to showing up for the meetings and voicing opinions, only the naysayers show up in force, everyone else assumes it is a given and do no show up to voice their opinion. Me personally, kinda peed me off when buying our home with a Garner address in Johnston County, our deed was sent to Wake County and took us close to 4 months to get it straightened out. If you really want our community to be it's own entity then you have to be willing to stand up and say so.

Auxie likes this.
  6. cougar6

cougar6 Guest

I understand. I registered to vote when I updated my driver's license. Guess what? I was not registered in Johnston County because of my Garner address. I had just moved here when this issue was a hot topic a few years ago. There is so much new construction on Josephine Road and on 1010 past Polenta Elem. going toward Smithfield, that something is going to have to give. What is the position of the Chamber at this time? Should the area incorporate and become a town? I am politically challenged and don't know anything about starting a town. Any ideas?

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

K,
    try this one for size....C6 registered to vote, and when she went to do so, was told that she isn;t registered in Johnston County, because her address says Garner. Where's the Voting Rights crwod when we really need them?
    H6

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Exactly!!! As to the Chamber's position at this tmie, i really don't know, i have not been involved the past year but i know after the last fiasco and all they did to get a post office here, get a real name for our area and the failure of support for it, they basically dropped the issue.

9. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

CMUODM, NC (Cant Make Up Our Darn Minds, NC)

Going on 15 years living in this area now, and things just don't change. I live in Johnston County but I have a Wake County address and I have a Harnett County phone number? If you want a Post Office this is prime time to petition the USPS with the darn stamp price increase. What are we paying extra for, the privilege of driving the extra distance to a post office?

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I personaly am for becoming a town, I think the thing that gives most people pause is the new taxes that come with it.

11. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

If we have our own name do we get our own taxes then too?

boo taxes boo

But I do like Cleveland Springs

12. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

But where are or were the Springs? I have never heard of any.

Names-> Each area of the Greater 40/42 multi-county area has a NAME if you go way back....
    There is Cleveland, Polenta (not where the new Elem School is), Barber Mill, Leachburg, Ezra, Coats Crossroads, Elevation and so on.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

I like Cleveland School. That is what I call it now!

14. Anonymous

love the bows on the hat pepper!!!!

15. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

That's what I call it, too. Personally I don't think any of us "newbies" to the area should have a say. It should be left up to the folks born and bred here, who "remember when" and will choose a name that actually means something.

16. Anonymous

if it is cleveland springs, can someone tell me where the springs are? :lol:

17. blusdrmr

blusdrmr Well-Known Member

Well, we can't have Cleveland, NC. That is located between Salisbury and Statesville on Hwy 70 just north of Mooresville.

18. blusdrmr

Cleve-Land?

[​IMG]

19. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

OMG. You did not go in the way-back machine and make a connection to Howard the Duck.... :lol:

20. blusdrmr

Dude.....you have WAYYYYYYY too much time on your hands!