Where is the best place to buy Railroad Ties?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Melynda, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

I need to buy some decent looking rairoad ties ... where is the most inexpensive place to buy decent looking railroad ties?

2. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I think I may have seen some at Lowes, but I am pretty sure the tractor supply place in Selma has them.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

The railroad museum's gift store. Sorry, but I cannot be more specific, but I am not a fan of novelty ties.

4. Melynda

LOL :)

5. Melynda

Free Delivery until Dec 23rd on landscaping supplies!!!

I ended up getting the railroad ties from Ogburn. Their prices are ususally really good ... but from now until Dec. 23 they are also offering FREE DELIVERY!!! That's hard to beat.

Ogburn Landscape Supplies Inc
    6500 Barber Bridge Road
    Willow Spring, NC 27592
    (919) 557-7620

6. riverbankbum

riverbankbum Member

I have 12 you can have if you wantthem. I got them when they replaced them earlier this tear. They are in as good a shape as you will find anywhere else. You are more than welcome to come look at them and there free if ya want them. They cost about $10 at lowes.
    I live at Patriots Pointe off West Watson close to McGees XRoads.
    Jeff

7. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

If you don't mind me asking, how much were they?

I've used the so-called landscape timbers you get at Lowes but they don't last very long and I'd like to use something better next time.

8. Melynda

They are $13 if you buy them individually or $12 each if you buy them in a bundle. The prices were comparable to Lowes ... but with the free delivery it definately made Ogburn the better deal. These things weigh a ton. So it was very conveniet from them to bring them to the house & drop them in a spot near where we needed them. I could be wrong ... but I'm guessing these things will last a lifetime :)

9. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! Delivery -free or not!- sounds like the way to go.

10. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Just talked to Mr. Ogburn to get some more info about the railroad ties because I need some, too.

Those ties weigh about 250 lbs each, so you'll definitely want him to deliver.

He also sells wheat straw for any of you who are into straw bale gardening like I am.

He sounds like a good man.

11. Melynda

The folks at Ogburn are SUPER Nice!!! We've been using them for years for dirt, mulch & Straw. It just didn't occur to me earlier that they would sale railroad ties also ... or I probably would have tried there 1st. I love how they were able to fit us in today with only a few minutes notice. They made 4 deliveries to my house today ... and the deliveries didn't cost me a cent. It would have been really tough for me to load the railroad ties or the crush & run into my own vehicle & it would have taken us all day to unload it. Instead I now have 24 yards of crush&run & 20 rairoad ties all put into place. They brought their dump truck in & dropped the loads just where we asked them to so it could be easily spread!! Thank you Ogburn!!