Where you are from

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hught, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

NY Times vocabulary quiz determines where you are from

I took it and it gave the Three Cities that I most likely came from, it said Milwaukee, Detroit or Toledo. I was born and raised in Milwaukee.

My wife took it and it identified Charlotte, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem as the most likely cities, and she was raised in North Carolina.

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

It listed the cities in the wrong states, but the red coverage for the dialect was correct.

3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

for some of the words I would pronounce it several ways but did not give me a choice
    Like I call them subs, hoagies or heros

For me it had listed
    Baltimore
    Philadelphia
    Newark/Patterson

Considering I was born in Brooklyn and was raised in New Milford NJ and West Orange NJ.
    West Orange is in the same county as Newark. Newark is the county seat for Essex county. My parents grew up in Patterson.
    I moved to Wilmington and would visit Philly and eventually worked in a town called Dundalk which is a suburb of Baltimore.

4. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

It listed mine as Jackson, Winston-Salem or Greensboro! I was born and raised in MI but went into the Army when I was 17. We've lived here for 24 yrs though, the most of any of the places we've ever lived.

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

My answers were:

Durham, Richmond and Raleigh.

I didn't grow up in any of the three places, but live in one of them now. I've lived in North Carolina for around 18 years now.

Sherry

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Montgomery
    Mobile
    Augusta

What the heck? :lol::lol:

Wendell, NC born & raised!

7. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Charlotte,Winston Salem and Greensboro :shock:
    =born and raised in Germany :lol:

8. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Neat!

Boston, Yonkers, and Newark/Paterson NJ

I grew up in southern NH (basically a suburb of Boston) and have a lot of relatives in northern NJ...

9. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Birmingham AL, Montgomery AL and Jackson MS

10. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

It got the right coast??? DC, Baltimore & NYC. If your diction / pronunciation isn't geographically influenced I think it freaks it out?

What I think is more interesting about their quiz is if you view your map image, .... then copy the link address to it ........ then paste it into MS Word, with standard margins, it takes 90 pages to show it.:)