Who do you use for gas?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by wed2x, Oct 12, 2009.

1. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

We have a gas fireplace in our house, a tank was never installed by the previous owners. The cold weather is making me think I may use this.

2. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

surely you mean propane?

3. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

TR Lee in Clayton for over 8 years now with no problems. They usually come the same day or early the next day. We have our gas logs and our gas grill hooked up. Thanks for reminding me to check it before the cold weather hits!

4. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I called these Lee folks about 7 years ago when I moved here and almost told the guy to go F himself. At the time I knew very little about the setup and I guess it made the old fart upset that I had so many questions. He kept interrupting me so I told him I would call somebody else and hung up.

5. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

we use Amerigas, out of Smithfield I think.

6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Sounds about right.

7. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

We also use Amerigas. Only thing I don't like is they charge you a tank rental fee if you don't buy enough propane from them each year. Since we only use it for our gas logs, and not everynight, we end up with the stupid rental fee each year. When I called around, this seems to be the norm with everyone so we didn't switch to another company. One thing though, you have to tell them you do not want them to automatically come out to "top off" the tank or they will come by and you will keep getting bills. We have it set that they don't come unless I call them.

8. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Seriously?

9. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

We just have a small tank, 100lb? i think that i just unhook and take up to DR Wells and fill it.$75 will usually last most winters or come very close to it.

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I get mine at the Barnes Store in Archers Lodge. It's the cheapest place around. But I take the tanks there to get them filled. I don't think they deliver.

11. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I can understand this business model. They are giving you a tank for free so they must recoup the cost of the tank via the gas.

What would be interesting to know is whether you could get them to come out at your convenience should you already own a tank. I would imagine if they did they would charge more than just the price of the LP.

I have no problems with it but I will straight up tell you to go to hell if I can't get someone remotely friendly when I'm offering to bring business their way.

12. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I've heard that same thing from one of our neighbors. We never had an issue so we got lucky I guess. Also, there is more than one person running things out there...one can be a bear, I hear. Who did you end up using?

13. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

We had Amerigas for several years and had good service. However, not only do they charge a tank fee if you don't use at least one full tank, they also charge more for the propane if you want to call when you need a delivery (vs. being put on their schedule to deliver regularly).

Last year we bought our own tank and take it to be filled. That's been working great for us.

14. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I went with McCracken as I recall. I moved out of that house in '05 and the next one had Natural Gas so I didn't need LP.

15. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Is that Phil McCracken :jester:

16. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I hear NG is better...never had experience with it. Well, just checked the tank and we are low. Guess I gotta give the sweeties a call! Can't wait to see how much it will be this fill up!

17. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

You're a nut!:jester:

18. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

:lol:

19. seabee

seabee Guest

Michelle's Gas service.... you hoot and she'll toot....

20. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

For a smaller tank (less than 100lbs) I feel sure you're going to have to take it in. For a larger tank, such as 150-500 gallons or more, not only will they bring it to you, but its CHEAPER, by as much as 10-15 cents a gallon or so.
    I bought a 325 gallon tank from NC State Surplus 15 years or so ago and have saved quite a bit. I have to deal with people I know, as I lost the receipt when I bought it, and all dealers want proof that it's your tank. They will not fill someone else's tank, just as they don't want another company filling theirs.