Who has a Dodge Caliber?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, Aug 3, 2010.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Got a lead on a used one for a good price. I've always liked the way they look, have not driven one. What do you like? What don't you like? I'm not sold on the CVT, had a Subaru once with that and it was weird, LOL.

A. Yes, it's an American car, I don't need anyone to extol the virtues of foreign ones, not interested at this time, this one will be so cheap it won't matter. :cheers::cheers: I've had excellent luck and value out of the Dodge vehicles we have.

B. Not my primary vehicle, strictly a run around town car , so I'm not too concerned about cargo room or any of that. Maybe day trips.

Thanks!!!!

2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Sounds crazy, but I don't know yet, LOL!! Probably an 07 or 08. DH's work used them for a while, that's where it might be coming from. Depending on who had it, I may or may not be interested. Some of the guys are awfully tough on them.

Those recalls don't look any worse than what Toyota has had.:mrgreen:

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I've always liked the sportier Caliber models, but I, too, have read of spotty problems with them. My truck is a Dodge and it has been reasonably reliable, but comparing a Dodge truck to a compact Dodge car is apples to oranges. I'm a Ford guy at heart and if I was going with a four-door American brand auto, it would likely be a Ford Fusion. From my understanding, they hold their value pretty well, get good gas mileage (esp. with the 4 cyl) and are known to be reliable. Plus, IMO, they are a fairly pretty car for what they are.

Another aspect you want to remember when choosing a small car is to look at the NHTSA and IIHS car crash data.

That's just my .02.

5. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I had a Caliber and it was an ok car. Didn't have enough get up and go for me but otherwise it was a nice ride.

6. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

I have an 07 and have had zero problems with it. Decent gas mileage. Its not a speed demon by any means but not bad. The CVT is a pretty neat transmission. Very smooth.

The fit and finish on the inside is a bit "plasticy" but hey, its not a $30k car.

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Don't those cars have a built-in soda can cooler or something in the glove box? That's one thing I like about Dodge is they come up with some really nifty ideas.

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

If I was going new, the Fusion is at the top of my list. LOVE them. This is kinda one of those rare opportunity to get a REALLY cheap car things. I wasn't even really looking, but we got a phone call.............so there ya go!

We have a full size Dodge truck with the Hemi now and I still love it. I've also got an 07 Dodge van that we got used the same way we may get this one. It needed quite a bit of repair work to get it up to speed, but we only gave a few thousand for it, so it was well worth it.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Cool! Thanks!

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

They've been making the Fusion for several years now. Of course, the current one is the second generation so even a used one probably could be had rather affordably. A brand-new 4 cyl. SE model is fairly inexpensive, so a used one like a 07 or 08 probably wouldn't break the bank. Plus, keep in mind that there is a Mercury version of the same car called the Milan. It's basically just a Fusion with slightly different styling.

I remember now you saying y'all have a Hemi, too. I just turned 140k on mine and overall, it's been a good, well-built truck for the seven years I've had it.

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Ours is an 04, just tripped over 30,000, LOL!! We did have one trouble with it, one of the lifters got stuck at about 15,000, but REALLY think that was because we don't drive it enough. It was warrantied and haven't had any more trouble. That was a horrible sound, let me tell you!

12. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I remember you mentioning the lifter sticking now and also that yours didn't have a lot of miles on it. My AC went out last summer and it cost just under $400 to get it back to blowing cold air. The hub situation was a bit off-putting, making me question the reliable of the truck as a whole but other than the $1200 fix, its been reliable so I can't really complain a lot.

When its all said and done, cars (and trucks) are machines and they break. I've had five different Mustangs (not at one time) over the past 20 years and all were very reliable. One, however, had a transmission go bad at 6,000 miles. Flukes happen. Hopefully, we choose a car or truck that doesn't break so often and thankfully, we have recalls and repair histories that we can use to judge whether a vehicle is worth taking a chance on.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

There are good and bad ones, no matter which line you go with. We had a Taurus SHO that spent more time in the shop than we did driving it, a couple GM's that have been complete PITA's, and this is our third Dodge van. They seem fairly bullet proof. The vans are prone to transmission issues, the first one we had did need a new one, but the last two did not, my third one is still going strong...............so far at nearly 100,000. It's first 75,000 were rough miles too.

14. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Um, no. They claim it is a cooler BUT it's really just a compartment that gets cool (and I use the term loosely) when the AC is on. Wouldn't keep your drink cool, that's for sure. Nice concept, just doesn't work.

15. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

I have a 07 caliber and no I wouldn't buy another one. I hate it! I may have just gotten a lemon. But before the 2 year of having it, the car wouldn't run, cost close to 500 to get it running again, can't remember at this time what it was. Now it's not running right again, I get everything done that I'm suppose to as far as oil changes ect. I can't afford for it to break down again. I don't recommend them.
    Sheri

16. Holly Wood

Holly Wood Well-Known Member

I have an '07 with over 80,000 miles on it, and (knock on wood) haven't had any trouble with it. It's a great run-around-town car, but I've also taken several long trips in it (however, you don't want to attempt longer trips with anyone having to ride in the back seat, which isn't particularly roomy or comfortable).

17. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

I have 68,000 miles on mine and I only work 1/2 from home, I have taken a few longer trips in in, FL and outerbanks and that is it. I wouldn't risk it taking it to the mountains last week when I was on vacation, thankfully my parents were going on theirs so we rode with them. I have a recall on mine, I need to take it in soon.

18. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Most Chrysler cars (with a few exceptions) have spotty reliability issues. With Fiat taking over, that may change, however cars like Neons, Calibers, Sebrings, etc. have not shown favorably. The RWD models--Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger & Magnum--usually get better marks. Their trucks are also more reliable as are the SUVs and mini-vans. With Chrysler, in recent years, its been those cars that get most publicity that seem to score better on reliability. It also seems that GM is usually that way, too. Since the former Boeing CEO took over Ford, it seems they have been much better off and have been winning a lot more accolades. If I were buying anything right now, it would be a Ford.

19. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Dodge :ack: :lol:

Never had one, don't want one. Even if someone GAVE it to me, I'd sell it.

FORD
    Nissan

That's it.

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Let me put it to ya'll this way..........they ARE practically giving it to us, LOL. I'm good with that. I'm too cheap to be picky! :lol: