Who repairs propane gaslog fireplaces???

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by robbie, Oct 1, 2013.

1. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Hey there all, My propane ventless gas log fireplace, well the pilot light won't stay lit, and when i do get the fire going obviously then the fire goes out. Who do I call to give it a once over and get the pilot to stay lit??? Any recommendations yay or nay??? Never had to this done before so I am clueless where to start. Thanks everyone :)

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

like PRM said, gas company. The thermocouple is probably bad/dirty. It's the little rod that sticks into the pilot flame. Lightly file it off and try again. Or, hold the pilot light button and hold a flame to the thermocouple till it gets hot. If that dont fix it, replace it.

3. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I don't have a gas company :( I have by own 50 gal or so tank that I take and fill when needed at the Cleveland Emporium. Does a heating and Air company do these type of repairs??

4. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Also, you ought to vacuum the gas burner well. Late models of these have O2 sensors that will close if it doesn;t detect oxygen, thus shutting off propane flow (to prevent buildup of propane, inhalation and explosion issues).

You may also have to be patient with the thermocouple. On ours, once vacuumed, I light it without the logs on, just to make sure pilot stays lighted.

By all means, call Southeast if you can't get it started.

6. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

You might want to try a can of compressed air to clean out the pilot light.
    Cost me a $75.00 service call to learn that.

If that doesn't work, replace the thermocoupler.

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

STALLINGS BROTHERS (OUT ON HWY 39)

That's who we use & we own our tank also

8. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I did and it worked wonders. It gets cob webs in there that does something to the airflow.

9. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Okey Dokey, will try those suggestions :) Thank ya all for the info. Will keep ya posted :) Any other thoughts??

10. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't blow up your house. :jester:

11. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

LOL... that is what is scaring me at this point!!!! Everything happens to me!!!! :)

12. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Navycut could you please explain how to clean out the pilot light with the compressed air!!! I filed the thermocouple and cleaned the unit up and will try lighting it tomorrow.

13. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

I used the compressed air to clean the orifice of the pilot light. This should take away the dust build up.
    If that doesn't work, you may need a new thermocoupler. I think I paid $7.00 at Ace Hardware.

14. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Hey hey!!! Guess what!!! My fireflace is working great now, thanks to all for telling me how to clean it up and file it down and blow it around :) Really appreciate it :)