Who's Cheaper? Wal Mart or Food Lion

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by busymama, Jan 3, 2015.

1. busymama

busymama Well-Known Member

Me and the hubby always disagree on this all the time...I say Wal Mart is cheaper..he says Food Lion is. I know produce and meats are better quality at Food Lion...just talking about prices...What do all of you think?

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

WRAL did a story on this about a year ago. Bought the same items from 3 or 4 different chains. Walmart was the cheapest.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I would say only at the checkout counter, there are other costs to consider however.

4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Walmart will also match prices, even from places like Amazon.

5. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I agree Food Lion meat quality is best,,,,,,,, but on the cheapest subject, Walmart definitely is!!!!! Now then, Walmart does not have sales, just an everyday low price, so a lot of times you can find your product on sales at Food Lion a lot cheaper than Walmart...... So I kinda shop Food Lion first and see what the sales are in the isles, and then I head to Walmart for the rest!!!! :)

6. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Yup.. the style of shopping I do Food lion is generally cheaper based on sales shopping. With most items I rarely buy full priced products it's all about the specials.

7. busymama

busymama Well-Known Member

BuzzMyMonkey is my hubby everyone!! I told you he loves Food Lion!!!

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Hello Mrs. Buzz! I am one of the thorns in your husband's side.

Hope you both had a great Christmas and New Year!

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

If you are comparing the exact same product like a box of Kraft Mac and Cheese then WalMart will usually be a bit cheaper (discounting sales, promotions, etc.). However, when looking at produce, meat, etc. you have to factor in quality. While this depends on the consumer to some degree I have found that WalMart lacks quality in this area and thus you get what you pay for.

10. Bride

Bride Member

Don't forget to do the savings catcher app when you shop at walmart. You just scan the bar code on the bottom of the receipt and it does everything else.
    I just started a few months ago and already got $21 back. They review ads around the area and will give you back the difference. If you open up a blue bird account, they double the amount. You do have to use the money at walmart but I always need something from there.
    If you don't want to do the savings catcher app, feel free to send me your receipts, haha.

11. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

:iagree:

12. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

We shop the sales and price watch 2-3 stores. The hubs and I, a 2 person family, have a budget of about 300.00 a month on groceries, beer and wine inclusive, if purchased...heh!. We have a healthy diet and buy lots of produce & grow some too. We rarely eat out.

We like the produce dept at WalMart. I feel like they offer a wide variety at a decent price and good quality. We usually do not buy meat there.

We have shopped Food Lion for 4-5 years and depending on the location, their produce is 2nd in price, but doesn't seem as fresh. Maybe it's because we power shop very early on Saturdays and some stores don't stock as frequently as they should. I do like Food Lion meat, and think they have good quality and decent prices there. (FL has decent prices on beer too)

Lowes, I feel, is the highest quality in meat and their produce. If we selectively shop other stores, I can usually buy that product of similar quality for less elsewhere. Their CuldeSac wine is a palatable swill for 2.99 a bottle. If you buy 6 bottles of any wine there at once, you get 15% off. Not that I have done that...:jester: I usually only buy other products there when it's a good deal, can use a coupon, and if lucky, a double coupon.

Love Kroger for their organic selection, decent prices on them too. It's just not convenient or close enough for us in Clayton. Their produce dept. is awesome...meat too. I don't shop there enough to give any type of opinion.

Can't wait for Aldi's to open in Garner!

All in all, I tend to shop in separate locations for meat & produce. The hubs and I hit the different depts at each, size up pricing and get in and out quickly.

By far, we eat well for what we spend.. but it takes being mindful and a little organized to save, which is pretty satisfying.

Sorry for the novelette, I just like this topic. :p

13. panthersdude2001

panthersdude2001 Well-Known Member

Food Lion - VERY expensive. Has a nice atmosphere.
    Walmart - VERY cheap. Some stores have grocery pickup, including 40/42. I go to the one in Garner (4500 Fayetteville Rd)